My Dog Drank Non-Toxic Antifreeze What Should I Do?
Antifreeze is used for vehicles of all types, including trucks, cars, buses, farm tractors, and more. However, these days there’s another alternative called non-toxic antifreeze. Non-toxic antifreeze is becoming more popular. But what happens if your dog drinks non-toxic antifreeze?
Has your dog drunk non-toxic antifreeze? Are you worried the non-toxic antifreeze will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog drinks something like this.
We’ve put together some information about non-toxic antifreeze and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Non-Toxic Antifreeze?
Regular anti-freeze contains chemicals that are toxic for dogs and other animals. It’s usually made with ethylene glycol and is commonly used to keep vehicle engines from freezing in extremely low temperatures. Unfortunately, ethylene glycol is highly toxic to dogs and other animals.
However, there’s another type of antifreeze that’s safer. This type of antifreeze is considered pet-friendly and is made with propylene glycol. It’s possible to find this in a store’s auto section. It does cost more; however, it’s well worth the money to keep your fur baby safe from being poisoned.
Non-toxic antifreeze has anti-corrosive properties and is biodegradable as well as recyclable. Therefore, this type of antifreeze is considered to be a more eco-friendly option.
But what happens if your dog drinks non-toxic antifreeze?
Non-Toxic Antifreeze & Dogs
Non-toxic antifreeze has the capability of poisoning dogs; however, it’s not as poisonous as regular antifreeze.
Symptoms of Non-Toxic Antifreeze Ingestion in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has drunk non-toxic antifreeze:
- Involuntary muscle movements
- Increased urination
- Increased thirst
- Low blood pressure
- Cardiovascular collapse
- Lactic acidosis
The fatal amount of non-toxic antifreeze for dogs is 9mL/kg of body weight. This means it takes a large amount of non-toxic antifreeze to make a dog sick. However, if the dog drinks a large amount, he may become very ill or even die from drinking the non-toxic antifreeze.
So, if your dog has a lick of this fluid, he should be OK. But, be sure to watch for any symptoms that may develop. And if your dog drinks a large amount of non-toxic antifreeze, do call the vet as soon as possible. Provide them with the product’s name and when your dog drank it.
Dogs who receive prompt medical have the best chance of surviving non-toxic antifreeze poisoning.