My Dog Drank Insecticide What Should I Do?

Reviewed By Tom •  Updated: 11/04/21 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

Dog Drank Insecticide

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Insecticides are some of the most common chemicals found in a home. They’re used to get rid of a variety of pests and can be quite effective. However, what happens if a dog drinks insecticide?

As your dog drunk insecticide? Are you worried the insecticide will make him sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog drinks something like this.

In this article, we’ve put together information about insecticide and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

What is Insecticide?

Insecticides are substances used to kill insects. These substances are commonly used in medicine, agriculture, manufacturing, and homes. There are generally two types of insecticides: systemic and contact insecticides.

Systemic insecticides leave residue on surfaces and last for a long time. On the other hand, contact insecticides are not residual. What’s more, insecticides can be repellent or non-repellent.

When used correctly, insecticides are generally safe. However, what happens if a dog drinks insecticide?

Insecticide & Dogs

Unfortunately, insecticide poisoning is extremely common. It’s possible for dogs to find the insecticide containers and spill out the liquid. The dog may take a drink, not realize the substance is toxic. It’s also possible for dogs (and other pets) to walk through areas that have been treated with residual insecticides. The insecticide can then end up on the dog’s paws. When he licks his paws, the dog may accidentally ingest some of the poison.

Symptoms of Insecticide Toxicity in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has insecticide poisoning:

If you notice these symptoms or suspect your dog has drunk insecticide, then call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.

When letting the vet know what’s happened, be sure to tell them which insecticide you believe the dog has drunk. This information can help the vet know exactly how to help your dog.

Can a Dog Survive Insecticide Poisoning?

Yes, it’s possible for a dog to survive ink poisoning. However, the key here is to get your dog to the vet as soon as possible. Your dog’s life depends on being treated ASAP for his ink toxicity symptoms.

Prevention is the best way to keep your dog from drinking insecticides. So, be sure to keep all insecticides (and other household chemicals) out of your dog’s reach. And void using insecticides where your dog could accidentally walk through the poison.

 

(Visited 50 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Tom

Tom has always loved to write since he was little - he wanted to be either a writer or a veterinary doctor, but he ended up being a professional writer while most of his works are based on animals. He was born in San Francisco but later moved to Texas to continue his job as a writer. He graduated from the University of San Francisco where he studied biotechnology. He is happily married and a soon to be father!

Keep Reading