You may like to kick back and enjoy a beer every so often, but what about your dog? Is it OK for him to also enjoy a bit of beer? Many pet parents share beer with the fur babies every so often, and the dogs appear to be OK. And some dogs really love beer! But is it save for them?
Alcohol can be toxic for dogs, even in smaller amounts. It’s possible for a dog to develop alcohol poisoning and have some of the same symptoms that we humans have after drinking one too many beers.
Not only can alcohol be toxic to canines, but the hops used to make beer can also be dangerous for dogs. Hops can cause a symptom called malignant hyperthermia, which is a persistent body temperature above 105F.
As a result, it’s never a good idea to share beer or any other alcohol with your fur baby. However, it is possible for a dog to gain access to a glass of beer that’s left unattended, or to lap up some beer that’s spilled on the floor. And if you see your canine companion happily lapping up some beer, it’s best to call the vet as soon as possible.
Signs and Symptoms Your Dog Had Too Much Beer
If your fur baby lapped up some beer that accidentally spilled, more than likely he’ll be OK. However, you’ll need to carefully watch him for any signs or symptoms that he’s had too much. These symptoms can include:
- Lack of focus
- Breathing difficulties
- Increased urination
- Drop in blood pressure and/or body temperature
That’s a lot of symptoms to watch for, but it’s important to observe your fur baby after he’s had had beer. If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, then call the vet immediately.
Treatment of Too Much Beer in Dogs
The vet will perform a physical exam and will ask about how much beer your dog drank. Depending on your canine companion’s symptoms, he may need to be treated with IV rehydration and may need to be hospitalized. He may also be treated with medications. Your dog will need to be monitored to see if he develops any other symptoms. If he does, he’ll need prompt treatment for alcohol poisoning.
Alcohol poisoning is a very serious condition in dogs—they can die from this. So, if your fur baby has had beer or another type of alcohol, be sure to get him to the vet as soon as possible. You may save his life with fast treatment.
TomTom has always loved to write since he was little - he wanted to be either a writer or a veterinary doctor, but he ended up being a professional writer while most of his works are based on animals. He was born in San Francisco but later moved to Texas to continue his job as a writer. He graduated from the University of San Francisco where he studied biotechnology. He is happily married and a soon to be father!
Review symptoms, medications & behavior to keep your pets healthy with a Vet Online in just minutes.Ask a Vet Live Now