My Dog Ate ZZ Plant What Should I Do?
House plants are becoming more popular each year. In fact, one of the most popular house plants ever is the ZZ plant! Have you ever heard of or seen a ZZ plant?
Because of their popularity, ZZ plants are going to be found in homes that have dogs. However, are these plants toxic to dogs?
What is a ZZ Plant?Check Price on Amazon
The ZZ plant, also know as Zamioculcas zamiifoilia, is very popular mainly because it’s a great plant for anyone and everyone. It’s the perfect plant for beginners or even those who are more advanced and knowledgeable about houseplant care.
ZZ plants also go by some other names including:
- Zee Zee plant
- Zanzibar plant
- ZiZi plant
- Aroid palm
- Eternity plant
One of the other names of the ZZ plant is “plant of steel,” which is because it’s extremely hardy and difficult to kill. It can survive just about everything including being overwatered, dropped, ignored, and more. Another reason for their popularity is that ZZ plants also work as an air purifier in the home. Researchers found the plants can remove benzene, toluene, and xylene from the air.
ZZ plants have very shiny leaves and look so good that many people believe the plants are actually fake. The plants originated in Africa and eventually became popular all around the world.
While these plants are so great in most ways, are they poisonous? Yes, ZZ plants are toxic to pets. This is because they produce calcium oxalates, which can cause serious irritation on the skin, or internally if ingested.
ZZ Plant Poisoning in DogsCheck Price on Amazon
While all parts of the ZZ plant are toxic, the good news is that it is not fatal. If your dog has eaten part of the ZZ plant, you may notice these symptoms:
- Dehydration (from vomiting)
These symptoms may last for a day or so, and you may even notice parts of the plants in your dog’s feces. This is normal. The only concerning factor would be if your dog is vomiting excessively. This can lead to dehydration. So, if your dog has this problem, then it’s best to call the vet. Your dog may need IV support to replace lost fluids.
Otherwise, your canine companion should be OK.
Other issues with the plant are that it can cause skin and oral irritation. This is due to the calcium oxalate, which is extremely irritating. It can cause irritation or even burns. If your dog seems to have this problem, then he should be seen by a vet for treatment.
While these plants don’t cause death, it’s a good idea to either not have them in your home, or keep them where your dog can’t gain access to them.