My Dog Ate ZZ Plant What Should I Do?

Reviewed By Tom •  Updated: 01/12/21 •  4 min read
Dog Severe Toxicity Level
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

House plants are becoming more popular each year. In fact, one of the most popular house plants ever is the ZZ plant! Have you ever heard of or seen a ZZ plant?

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Because of their popularity, ZZ plants are going to be found in homes that have dogs. However, are these plants toxic to dogs?

What is a ZZ Plant?

The ZZ plant, also know as Zamioculcas zamiifoilia, is very popular mainly because it’s a great plant for anyone and everyone. It’s the perfect plant for beginners or even those who are more advanced and knowledgeable about houseplant care.

ZZ plants also go by some other names including:

It is strongly recommended to contact a Pet Poison Helpline or your veterinarian.

One of the other names of the ZZ plant is “plant of steel,” which is because it’s extremely hardy and difficult to kill. It can survive just about everything including being overwatered, dropped, ignored, and more. Another reason for their popularity is that ZZ plants also work as an air purifier in the home. Researchers found the plants can remove benzene, toluene, and xylene from the air.

ZZ plants have very shiny leaves and look so good that many people believe the plants are actually fake. The plants originated in Africa and eventually became popular all around the world.

While these plants are so great in most ways, are they poisonous? Yes, ZZ plants are toxic to pets. This is because they produce calcium oxalates, which can cause serious irritation on the skin, or internally if ingested.

ZZ Plant Poisoning in Dogs

While all parts of the ZZ plant are toxic, the good news is that it is not fatal. If your dog has eaten part of the ZZ plant, you may notice these symptoms:

These symptoms may last for a day or so, and you may even notice parts of the plants in your dog’s feces. This is normal. The only concerning factor would be if your dog is vomiting excessively. This can lead to dehydration. So, if your dog has this problem, then it’s best to call the vet. Your dog may need IV support to replace lost fluids.

Otherwise, your canine companion should be OK.

Other issues with the plant are that it can cause skin and oral irritation. This is due to the calcium oxalate, which is extremely irritating. It can cause irritation or even burns. If your dog seems to have this problem, then he should be seen by a vet for treatment.

While these plants don’t cause death, it’s a good idea to either not have them in your home, or keep them where your dog can’t gain access to them.

Are ZZ plants toxic to dogs?

Ingesting zamioculcas zamiifolia which is the scientific name for this plant from the araceae family is certainly not recommended. These succulents may cause drooling, kidney stones and calcium oxalate crystals if ingested. Skin irritation is also common, these indoor plants while low maintenance and requiring low-light conditions should be kept away according to ASPCA to keep your pets safe. Philodendron and other rhizomes with sharp edges can be dangerous to both small children as well as cats and dogs.

Stomach ache is common even when ingesting other plants striving in direct sunlight or inderect light. Mucus membranes are particularly sensible to plant toxicity. Pothos and snake plants can also present a risk and it is recommended to wear gloves when manipulating them. Orange peels may also impact mucous membranes. Peace lily or monstera are other common names for this aloe like plants.

(Visited 6,427 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Tom

Tom has always loved to write since he was little - he wanted to be either a writer or a veterinary doctor, but he ended up being a professional writer while most of his works are based on animals. He was born in San Francisco but later moved to Texas to continue his job as a writer. He graduated from the University of San Francisco where he studied biotechnology. He is happily married and a soon to be father!

Keep Reading