My Dog Ate Visine What Should I Do?

By Kyoko •  Updated: 03/06/21 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website!

Do you use Visine? This is a very common OTC eye drop medication used by many around the world. It’s so common that you probably have a bottle in your medicine cabinet. While this is an effective treatment for some eye problems, can it make your dog sick? Is Visine toxic to dogs?

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

What is Visine?

Visine is an OTC eye drop medication that’s used to relieve eye swelling, redness, or watering eyes. It can help eyes that are irritated by colds, allergies, or even sinusitis.

Can My Dog Be Lactose Intolerant?
Can My Dog Be Lactose Intolerant?

The main ingredient in Visine, tetrahydrozoline, is a vasoconstrictor. It works to narrow swollen blood vessels in the eyes, to reduce redness.

While this is an OTC medication, it still can have serious side effects when not used properly. The main ingredient is highly toxic when ingested.

But is Visine toxic to dogs?

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Visine & Dogs

Visine is toxic to dogs when ingested. In fact, if your dog has swallowed Visine, then this is a medical emergency. It’s time to call the vet now.

Symptoms of Visine Toxicity in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has ingested Visine:

It can take up to 30 minutes or longer before symptoms first appear. If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, then call the vet immediately. This is a life-threatening medical emergency.

Treatment of Visine Toxicity in Dogs

At the vet’s, they will perform a physical exam of your dog, which may include lab work. If your fur baby’s heart rate has been affected by the Visine, the vet will put a monitoring device on your dog.

Because Visine is quickly absorbed into the body, the vet will not induce vomiting. Instead, they may try activated charcoal if your dog isn’t showing symptoms yet. Your dog will also need an IV to keep him hydrated and to make it easier to give him medications for other symptoms.

Your dog will need to stay in the hospital to be monitored. The good news is that if a dog receives prompt medical treatment, they can go on to a full recovery.

To keep this from happening in the future, be sure to keep Visine and all medications out of your dog’s reach. If your fur baby can climb, you may need to consider storing medications in a locked cabinet.

(Visited 4,930 times, 1 visits today)

Kyoko

Kyoko is from a family of 3 and moved to New York with her parents and siblings when she was 13. Kyoko is fond of spending a great amount of time with pets, specifically her beagle Luna and cat Missy. Her boyfriend often complains that she spends too much time giving attention to their animals. Kyoko has written dozens of articles concerning pets and is aiming at owning a pet shop one day!

Keep Reading

[class^="wpforms-"]
[class^="wpforms-"]