Has your dog eaten used coffee pods? Are you worried the used coffee pods will make him sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something he shouldn’t.
In this article, we’ll take a look at coffee pods and whether or not they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What Are Coffee Pods?
Coffee pods are used in special coffee-making machines. The pods may be round and contain enough coffee to make one cup of the hot drink. Coffee pods are usually made of a biodegradable paper pouch, which contains coffee sealed inside.
Coffee pods first became popular back in 2001. People were interested in finding a way to make one cup of coffee rather than an entire pot. They were sometimes used in hotel rooms and even at home. Since then, coffee pods have become very popular!
But can used coffee pods make a dog sick?
Coffee Pods & Dogs
Coffee pods can be dangerous for dogs because they contain coffee. It’s the caffeine in coffee that is toxic to dogs. Dogs are not able to metabolize coffee as we do. Instead, caffeine acts as a very strong stimulant for dogs.
Symptoms of Caffeine Toxicity in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten used coffee pods:
- Rapid heartbeat
If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, then call the vet immediately. This is a medical emergency.
Treatment of Caffeine Toxicity in Dogs
At the vet’s, they will perform a complete physical of your dog, which includes lab work and other tests. The vet needs to rule out other medical conditions that could be causing your fur baby’s symptoms. If the vet determines your dog has caffeine poisoning, then he will begin treatment.
The vet may use gastric lavage to remove the coffee grounds for your dog’s digestive tract. They may also induce vomiting and used activated charcoal.
After this, the vet will begin treating other symptoms that your dog has developed. The goal is to control the central nervous system, which is reacting to caffeine.
The prognosis depends on the amount of caffeine the dog has eaten. It also depends on how soon the dog was able to receive medical treatment. However, in most cases, the dog should make a full recovery if they receive care as soon as possible. So, calling the vet right away and getting your fur baby to the vet as soon as possible could just save his life.