My Dog Ate Used Coffee Ground Will He Get Sick?
Do you like to start your day with a lovely cup of hot coffee? Or do you like to enjoy a cup of hot coffee I the middle of the afternoon? Whenever you like to have coffee, it’s still necessary to take care of the grounds. Many of us simply throw used coffee grounds into the trash without a second thought. However, your dog may have other plans for those used coffee grounds!
Has your dog eaten used coffee grounds? Are you worried the used coffee grounds will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. It can be scary when your dog eats something he shouldn’t.
In this article, we’ve put together some information to help you and your dog. We’ll take a look at the possible issues coffee grounds may cause and when it’s time to call the vet. Let’s get started!
Used Coffee Grounds & DogsCheck Price on Amazon
It’s a fact that’s dogs love to eat the strangest things. Whether it be your underwear, a flower, or even coffee grounds, you’ll find all kinds of stories online of dogs who have done the same thing. Can used coffee grounds make a dog sick?
Used coffee grounds can make a dog seriously sick. The problem is that caffeine is highly toxic to dogs. Dogs don’t have the ability to metabolize caffeine the way we do. As a result, the caffeine in used coffee grounds can cause poisoning in dogs.
Symptoms of Caffeine Poisoning in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten used coffee grounds:
- Increased heart rate
- Heavy breathing/panting
Symptoms can set in within two hours after the used coffee grounds have been ingested. This is a medical emergency.
So, if you have found your dog eating used coffee grounds, don’t wait for symptoms to develop. Instead, call the vet right away and seek treatment right now.Check Price on Amazon
Treatment for Caffeine Poisoning in Dogs
At the vet’s, they may begin treating your dog right away. One of the first things the vet will try, if your dog has recently eaten coffee grounds, is to induce vomiting. After this, the vet may also give your dog activated charcoal, which works to absorb any remaining toxins in the dog’s digestive tract. This is the best way to avoid any serious complications.
On the other hand, if it’s been over two hours since your dog ate the used coffee grounds, then the vet will need to provide supportive treatment to your dog. This means the vet will treat the symptoms as they appear. The vet will also give your dog an IV for fluids and to administer medications.
The prognosis is best for dogs who have mild poisoning and for those who receive treatment as soon as possible.