My Dog Ate Trident Gum What Should I Do?

By Kyoko •  Updated: 11/07/20 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website!

Do you enjoy a piece of gum every now and then? If so, you’re not alone! Gum is a favorite treat for many of us! But what happens if your dog eats something like Trident gum?

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

What is in Trident Gum?

Trident gum is a type of sugarless chewing gum that’s extremely popular, and comes in a wide variety of flavors. This and many other brands of sugarless gum contain the sweetener xylitol.

Can My Dog Be Lactose Intolerant?
Can My Dog Be Lactose Intolerant?

Xylitol is extremely poisonous to dogs. In fact, it doesn’t take much of this sweetener to cause hypoglycemia and liver failure. Just one stick is enough to make a small dog very sick.

So, if your dog has eaten some Trident gum, then you’ll need to call the vet immediately. This is a medical emergency.

The vet will probably ask you some questions which may include the following:

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Try to have as much of this information down as possible when you see the vet.

Symptoms of Xylitol Poisoning in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten Trident gum:

This is a medical emergency, so call your vet immediately, even if your dog isn’t showing symptoms. Xylitol poisoning symptoms may not be apparent for several hours after the dog has eaten the gum.

Diagnosis & Treatment of Xylitol Poisoning in Dogs

When you get to the vet’s they may first try to induce vomiting to help your dog get rid of the toxin. Other methods they may choose include gastric lavage or the use of activated charcoal.

Your vet will also perform a physical exam and may also order lab tests. The lab tests will show if there’s been liver damage, as well as checking the level of toxicity.

Treatment may include IV fluids, medications to protect the liver, as well as antibiotics. If the blood clotting factor has been affected, then your dog may also require blood plasma or a blood transfusion.

It’s more than likely your fur baby will have to stay in the hospital to be monitored. The vet will check to make sure your dog’s liver is functioning and watch for any other issues.

You may still need to monitor your dog after he comes home, and the vet may request updates on your dog’s condition and recovery.

Dogs who have eaten Trident gum will have a better chance at survival if they receive quick treatment. Never give your dog gum to chew, and if he accidentally eats some Trident gum, then be sure to call the vet immediately—you may save your dog’s life.

(Visited 2,590 times, 1 visits today)

Kyoko

Kyoko is from a family of 3 and moved to New York with her parents and siblings when she was 13. Kyoko is fond of spending a great amount of time with pets, specifically her beagle Luna and cat Missy. Her boyfriend often complains that she spends too much time giving attention to their animals. Kyoko has written dozens of articles concerning pets and is aiming at owning a pet shop one day!

Keep Reading

[class^="wpforms-"]
[class^="wpforms-"]