Tarmac is a commonly used substance that’s been around for thousands of years! But what happens when a dog eats tarmac? Will the tarmac make a dog sick?
And why on earth would a dog eat tarmac? Well, it’s hard to tell. Some dogs may be curious about it, or they may even walk through it and get the substance on their paws. Just about anything is possible when it comes to dogs and the things they eat!
Can tarmac make a dog sick?
Has your dog eaten tarmac? Are you worried the tarmac will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve put together information on tarmac and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Tarmac?
Tarmac, also known as bitumen, is a naturally occurring substance that is thick, black, and dense. It comes from petroleum and may be found in natural deposits or be refined.
Almost 70% of tarmac is used in the construction of roads. When used for roads, the substance is a binder or glue to create tarmac concrete.
Tarmac is also widely used for roofs, coatings, floor tiles, soundproofing, and much more. But what happens if a dog eats tarmac?
Tarmac & Dogs
Unfortunately, tarmac is toxic to dogs. It’s possible for a dog to walk on warm or hot tarmac. The substance then sticks to the dog’s paws and fur. He may try to remove the tarmac with his teeth. The material could also burn his paws.
Symptoms of Tarmac Ingestion in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten tarmac:
- Burns on paws/skin
- And more
If you notice these symptoms in your dog, then call the vet right away. This could be an emergency. BE sure to let the vet know about how much tarmac the dog has eaten. And remember to tell them when this happened.
Treatment will depend on how much tarmac the dog ate and the severity of his symptoms. They may also have to treat your dog’s skin and paws for burns if the tarmac is hot. The vet will also check the inside of your dog’s mouth for burns.
The good news is that a dog can survive tarmac toxicity; however, the key is getting him to the vet ASAP. You might just save his life!