My Dog Ate Tampon Applicator What Should I Do?

Reviewed By Tom •  Updated: 01/06/22 •  3 min read
Dog Moderate Toxicity Level
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

Dog ate Tampon Applicator

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Dogs will eat just about anything! They like to dig through the trash looking for yummy treats. However, they sometimes eat things they shouldn’t, such as a tampon applicator! But can a tampon applicator make a dog sick?

Has your dog eaten a tampon applicator? Are you worried the tampon applicator will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.

We’ve put together information about tampon applicators and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

It is strongly recommended to contact a Pet Poison Helpline or your veterinarian.

What is a Tampon Applicator?

Tampons are very popular at that time of the month. Unfortunately, dogs are also drawn to these, especially used tampons. Yuck!

Tampons contain applicators that may be made of plastic or cardboard. It is possible a dog will eat either type of tampon applicator. But can the tampon applicator make a dog sick?

Tampon Applicators & Dogs

Unfortunately, tampon applicators can be extremely dangerous for dogs. If eaten, the applicators can be caught in the throat and cause choking. They can also become lodged anywhere in the digestive tract. This can lead to an intestinal blockage, which can lead to death if not treated.

Another problem with plastic tampon applicators is the dog may chew them. Chewing may cause the plastic to splinter into tiny pieces that can lodge in the airways, puncture the esophagus or other areas of the digestive tract. This can be extremely dangerous.

Symptoms of Tampon Applicator Ingestion in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten a tampon applicator:

If you notice these symptoms in your dog, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.

Dogs that have eaten a tampon applicator (plastic or card board), they may have a blockage. The vet may need to do emergency surgery to remove the blockage safely.

The good news is that dogs who receive prompt medical treatment can make a full recovery. The key is to get your dog treated ASAP.

When throwing tampons and tampon applicators away, it’s best to use a dog-proof wastebasket that has a lid. The wastebaskets are difficult for the dog to open, ensuring he won’t be able to get the trash inside! This is a great way to keep your dog safe from health issues caused by eating tampon applicator.

(Visited 2,185 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Tom

Tom has always loved to write since he was little - he wanted to be either a writer or a veterinary doctor, but he ended up being a professional writer while most of his works are based on animals. He was born in San Francisco but later moved to Texas to continue his job as a writer. He graduated from the University of San Francisco where he studied biotechnology. He is happily married and a soon to be father!

Keep Reading