My Dog Ate Something Bad What Should I Do?
Dogs will eat the strangest things sometimes! You may be out for a walk, and your dog finds something interesting to sniff. The next thing you know, he’s swallowed it down before you could identify what it was! Or you may be in the kitchen taking your medicine when a pill drops on the floor. Your dog may pounce on the pill and eat it before you can react. It can happen that fast!
If your dog has eaten something bad, then you’ve come to the right place. Read on for information on what dogs eat, the symptoms to watch for, and what you should do.
Dogs Eat Dangerous Things
Sometimes it can happen that your dog will eat something that’s bad for him. There are a number of things that can be harmful in different ways. Here are some examples of things that are bad for your dog:
Poisons: dogs are notorious for eating toxic things, including:
- Cleaning products
- Toxic plants
- And more
Items that can create an intestinal blockage:
- Rubber toys
- And more
Things that can make a dog sick:
- Roadkill/something dead
- Poop (from any animal)
- And more
This is only a small sample of what dogs have been known to eat!
Symptoms to Watch For
Dogs can each such a wide variety of things that are bad for them! However, we’ve put together a list of symptoms to watch for that may indicate your fur baby has eaten something he shouldn’t have:
- Reduced appetite
- Abdominal pain/swelling
- Irritated, red skin
- Pawing at mouth/face/eyes
- Breathing difficulties
These symptoms can cover a wide range of medical issues in dogs. So, if your canine companion is showing any of these symptoms, then it’s time to call the vet.
One note: if you know your dog has eaten something bad, then do no make him vomit. Only induce vomiting if the vet tells you to do so.
Treatment of Dogs Eating Something Bad
Treatment will depend on the vet’s diagnosis and can include:
- Poisons: activated charcoal, gastric lavage, and more
- Medications: to treat and relieve symptoms
- Blood tests
- Emergency surgery
- Injections: for pain, to treat an allergic reaction, nausea, and more
- IV drip
The prognosis for a dog that’s eaten something bad depends on how soon he’s treated. In most cases, dogs that receive prompt medical treatment have an excellent chance of making a full recovery!