Do you, or someone in your family, play the violin or another stringed instrument? Do you use rosin? Has your dog eaten some rosin? If so, then you’ve come to the right place!
We’ve put together some information about rosin and whether or not it’s toxic to dogs. Let’s get started!
What is Rosin?
Rosin is a solid resin that comes from pine trees and other plants. Rosin is semi-transparent and varies in color from black to yellow. At room temperature, rosin is brittle, while on the stove, it melts.
Rosin can be used for many different purposes, such as an ingredient in ink, photocopying and laser printing paper, adhesives, soap, soda, and more. It’s also used in medications and even in chewing gum. Rosin is also used on bowed string instruments. Here, a cake of rosin is rubbed across the bow’s hair to make the string vibrate more clearly.
What happens if your dog eats rosin? Is rosin toxic to dogs?
Rosin & Dogs
Thankfully, rosin is not toxic to dogs. It’s just hardened tree sap. However, in some dogs, rosin may cause diarrhea and vomiting if ingested. This won’t last too long. However, if the symptoms are concerning in any way, then be sure to call the vet. They can tell you how to help your dog and whether or not he should come to be checked.
In most cases, your dog should be just fine after eating rosin. However, if he really seems to like it, then you may need to consider storing the rosin where your canine companion can’t get to it!
KyokoKyoko is from a family of 3 and moved to New York with her parents and siblings when she was 13. Kyoko is fond of spending a great amount of time with pets, specifically her beagle Luna and cat Missy. Her boyfriend often complains that she spends too much time giving attention to their animals. Kyoko has written dozens of articles concerning pets and is aiming at owning a pet shop one day!
Review symptoms, medications & behavior to keep your pets healthy with a Vet Online in just minutes.Ask a Vet Live Now