Do you love to snack on a couple of Reese’s Puffs every now and then? If so, you’re not alone! These are a popular snack that many people enjoy! And when you love to eat something, your dog knows it. He is sure to come over and beg for a handout! However, are Reese’s Puffs safe for dogs to eat?
Has your dog eaten some Reese’s Puffs? Are you worried Reese’s Puffs will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something he shouldn’t.
In this article, we’ll take a look at Reese’s Puffs and whether or not they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What are Reese’s Puffs?
Reese’s Puffs are a type of breakfast cereal that many kids (and adults) love to eat every morning! And why? Because this great cereal combines the taste of peanut butter and chocolate! What could be better than that combination of flavors for breakfast?
Reese’s Puffs contains the following ingredients:
- Whole grain corn
- Sugar and/or golden sugar
- Peanut butter
- Degermed cornmeal
- Corn syrup
- And preservatives & vitamins/minerals
While you and your kids can safely enjoy Rees’s Puffs, what about your dog? Will Reese’s Puffs make a dog sick?
Reese’s Puffs & Dogs
Reese’s Puffs can be bad for your dog. This is because they contain cocoa (chocolate). While there’s not a lot of chocolate in this breakfast cereal, it can still make your dog sick. Remember, chocolate is toxic to dogs. Even a small amount can make a dog very sick.
If your dog has eaten a few pieces of the cereal (less than a handful), chances are he will be OK. Some dogs may have some digestive tract issues.
On the other hand, if your dog has eaten a lot of Reese’s Puffs, then he could become very sick.
Symptoms of Reese’s Puffs Ingestion in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten a large serving of Reese’s Puffs (a “large serving” will depend on the size and weight of your dog. For example, a large serving will be smaller for a dog small dog, while a large serving will be bigger for a larger dog).
- Increased heart rate
- Tense stomach
- Abdominal swelling
- Unable to vomit/poop
If you notice these or other concerning symptoms in your dog, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.
The prognosis is best for dogs who receive prompt medical care. These dogs have a very good chance of making a complete recovery!