Oxygen absorbers come in a wide range of products. You can find them in everything from food packaging to shoeboxes and much more!
As you know, dogs are drawn to eating many non-food items. Some even eat oxygen absorbers! But what happens if a dog eats an oxygen absorber?
Has your dog eaten an oxygen absorber? Are you worried the oxygen absorber will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve gathered information about oxygen absorbers and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is an Oxygen Absorber?
Oxygen absorbers are those small packets that come in a wide range of products. They are used to remove or decrease oxygen in a product’s packaging. They also ensure the product doesn’t spoil, and they work to extend that product’s shelf-life. The packets also work to remove excess moisture from inside product packages.
A dog may eat an oxygen absorber if it smells like food, such as pepperoni or other meats. However, a dog may eat one of these packets because he’s curious about it.
While oxygen absorbers are safe when used correctly, what happens if a dog eats one?
Oxygen Absorbers & Dogs
Many oxygen absorbers contain iron fillings, clay, and salt. Unfortunately, oxygen absorber packets made with iron can be toxic to dogs.
The first symptoms of iron toxicity may not show up until 6 hours later. After that, there are additional stages that occur in the case of iron toxicity. Left untreated, iron toxicity can cause death in dogs.
Symptoms of Oxygen Absorber Ingestion in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten an oxygen absorber that contains iron:
- Abdominal pain & swelling
- Loss of appetite
- Increased heart rate
- Low blood pressure
- Extreme fatigue
- And more
If your dog shows any of these or other symptoms, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.
Treatment of Oxygen Absorber Ingestion in Dogs
The vet will work to decontaminate your dog’s system by inducing vomiting, using activated charcoal, or other treatments. They will also treat other symptoms as they arise.
In most cases, your dog will require an IV for fluids and to administer medications. Your fur baby may also need supplemental oxygen. The vet will probably need to hospitalize your dog until his condition as stabilized. This could take one or more days, depending on the severity of your canine companion’s condition.
The prognosis is best for dogs who receive prompt medical care after eating an oxygen absorber. It’s best to keep all oxygen absorbers out of your dog’s reach. Prevention is always the best medicine!