My Dog Ate My Aromatherapy What Should I Do?

Reviewed By Kim •  Updated: 06/14/23 •  3 min read
The contents of the website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

These days, many pet parents turn to aromatherapy to ease stress, create a positive environment, and to make their homes smell better. Aromatherapy comes in many forms and scents. The problem is that sometimes dogs are attracted to aromatherapy and may eat it! But what happens if a dog eats aromatherapy?

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Has your dog eaten aromatherapy? Are you worried the aromatherapy will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.

We’ve gathered information about aromatherapy and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

Dog Ate My Aromatherapy

What is Aromatherapy?

Aromatherapy can be a holistic treatment that’s used to promote health and wellbeing. It can be prescribed by a holistic healer; however, aromatherapy can also be bought over the counter at a wide range of stores.

Aromatherapy uses natural plant essential oils to heal and improve the wellbeing of your health, mind, and body. This form of therapy has been around for thousands of years. It was first practiced in ancient cultures such as China, India, Egypt, and other places.  Ancient cultures used natural substances for physical and spiritual wellbeing.

Essential oils are used in aromatherapy, and these can be applied to:

While essential oils are considered safe for humans (when used as directed), what about dogs? What happens if a dog eats aromatherapy?

Aromatherapy & Dogs

Unfortunately, aromatherapy can be toxic to dogs. Only a small amount of aromatherapy, such as essential oils, is enough to poison a dog.

Symptoms of Aromatherapy Ingestion in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten aromatherapy:

If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency. Your dog needs to be treated by the vet ASAP.

Treatment of Aromatherapy Ingestion in Dogs

There is no antidote for aromatherapy ingestion, so the vet will have to focus on removing the poison from your dog’s system. They may do this by inducing vomiting and using activated charcoal. In addition, the vet may give your fur baby an IV with fluids. These treatments help to flush the toxin from your canine companion’s system.

In addition, depending on the type of aromatherapy eaten, the vet may need to treat your fur baby for chemical burns in the mouth or throat. They may also need to give your dog stomach protectants, liver protectants, and other medications. In some cases, your fur baby may need to be hospitalized until he’s in stable condition.

The prognosis is best for dogs who receive prompt medical treatment after eating aromatherapy. In the future, it’s best to keep all aromatherapy products out of your dog’s reach. You’ll both be happier for it!

(Visited 10 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.


Kim is a talented author, who loves animals especially dogs. She engaged in writing books and articles relating to animals a decade ago. Kim resides in Chicago with her husband and son. The family is the proud owner of a dog and a parrot (Jack and Lily). Kim wanted more than these two pets, but her husband put his foot down... She often visits elementary schools to talk to the kids about what she learned about pets and how they could learn from them.