My Dog Ate Muriatic Acid What Should I Do?

By Kim •  Updated: 06/11/21 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

Has your dog swallowed muriatic acid? Are you worried muriatic acid will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

In this article, we’ll take a look at what muriatic acid is and whether or not it can be harmful to your dog. Let’s get started.

What is Muriatic Acid?

Muriatic acid, also known as hydrochloric acid, is a colorless solution that has a very sharp smell. This is an acid that’s found in the gastric acid of the digestive tracts of humans and other animals. It’s also used in labs, manufacturing, and more.

Acids, including muriatic acid, have a pH lower than 7. They’re used in all types of household products such as pool chemicals, battery fluid in cars, household cleaners, and more.

Unfortunately, acids are toxic to our dogs and us.

Muriatic Acid & Dogs

Muriatic acid, as are other acids, is toxic to dogs. Any type of highly concentrated acid will cause pain when it comes in contact with the skin. It causes burns and ulcerations to develop within a matter of seconds.

When acid is ingested, it causes ulceration of the digestive tract, along with vomiting and severe abdominal pain.

Symptoms of Muriatic Toxicity in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has ingested muriatic acid:

If your dog is showing any of these symptoms, then call the vet immediately. This is a medical emergency. Be sure to take the container that contained the muriatic acid for the vet to review.

Note: Do not induce vomiting. This makes the acid come back and cause even more damage.  

Treatment of Muriatic Poisoning in Dogs

At the vet’s office, they will perform a physical on your dog and may run lab work. Then the vet will treat any life-threatening symptoms such as shock and breathing difficulty. Next, the vet may give your fur baby medication to treat the pain and inflammation, as well as antibiotics to keep your dog from developing an infection. From there, the vet will treat symptoms as they appear.

Your dog will need to stay in the hospital to be monitored for a few days.

The key to saving your dog’s life if he’s ingested muriatic acid is to get medical assistance as soon as possible.

 

(Visited 961 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Kim

Kim is a talented author, who loves animals especially dogs. She engaged in writing books and articles relating to animals a decade ago. Kim resides in Chicago with her husband and son. The family is the proud owner of a dog and a parrot (Jack and Lily). Kim wanted more than these two pets, but her husband put his foot down... She often visits elementary schools to talk to the kids about what she learned about pets and how they could learn from them.

Keep Reading