My Dog Ate Muriatic Acid What Should I Do?
Has your dog swallowed muriatic acid? Are you worried muriatic acid will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place.
In this article, we’ll take a look at what muriatic acid is and whether or not it can be harmful to your dog. Let’s get started.
What is Muriatic Acid?Check Price on Amazon
Muriatic acid, also known as hydrochloric acid, is a colorless solution that has a very sharp smell. This is an acid that’s found in the gastric acid of the digestive tracts of humans and other animals. It’s also used in labs, manufacturing, and more.
Acids, including muriatic acid, have a pH lower than 7. They’re used in all types of household products such as pool chemicals, battery fluid in cars, household cleaners, and more.
Unfortunately, acids are toxic to our dogs and us.
Muriatic Acid & Dogs
Muriatic acid, as are other acids, is toxic to dogs. Any type of highly concentrated acid will cause pain when it comes in contact with the skin. It causes burns and ulcerations to develop within a matter of seconds.
When acid is ingested, it causes ulceration of the digestive tract, along with vomiting and severe abdominal pain.
Symptoms of Muriatic Toxicity in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has ingested muriatic acid:
- Whining/crying (due to pain)
- Paw at the mouth
- Excessive thirst
- Vomiting (may contain blood)
- Abdominal pain
- Difficulty swallowing
- Swollen throat
- Difficulty breathing
- Ulceration of skin around and inside the mouth
- Redness/burning at the area of contact
If your dog is showing any of these symptoms, then call the vet immediately. This is a medical emergency. Be sure to take the container that contained the muriatic acid for the vet to review.
Note: Do not induce vomiting. This makes the acid come back and cause even more damage.Check Price on Amazon
Treatment of Muriatic Poisoning in Dogs
At the vet’s office, they will perform a physical on your dog and may run lab work. Then the vet will treat any life-threatening symptoms such as shock and breathing difficulty. Next, the vet may give your fur baby medication to treat the pain and inflammation, as well as antibiotics to keep your dog from developing an infection. From there, the vet will treat symptoms as they appear.
Your dog will need to stay in the hospital to be monitored for a few days.
The key to saving your dog’s life if he’s ingested muriatic acid is to get medical assistance as soon as possible.