Milk Duds are a popular treat in the US! You can find them at the movie theater, the grocery store, and more. But what happens if your dog sees you eating Milk Duds? We’re pretty sure he will come over and beg for some! It’s also possible a dog could find a box of Milk Duds and eat some. But what happens if a dog eats Milk Duds?
Has your dog eaten Milk Duds? Are you worried the Milk Duds will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve gathered information about Milk Duds and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What are Milk Duds?
Milk Duds are a popular candy made by the Hershey Company. And this candy has been around for quite a while! It came out in 1928! Milk Duds are caramel balls covered with a thin layer of milk chocolate on the outside. Talk about delicious!
Milk Duds contain the following ingredients:
- Corn syrup
- Vegetable oil
- Nonfat milk
- Brown sugar
- Whey (milk)
- Mon and diglycerides
- Sodium bicarbonate
- Milk fat
- Resinous glaze
- Soy lecithin
- Tapioca dextrin
- Artificial flavor
While Milk Duds are safe for humans (in moderation), what about dogs? Can Milk Duds make a dog sick?
Milk Duds & Dogs
Unfortunately, this candy can make a dog sick. If your dog has one or two Milk Duds, he should be OK. However, more of this candy could make a dog sick. The dog may develop digestive issues caused by the sugar in this product.
The good news is that Milk Duds don’t contain that much chocolate. So, unless your dog’s eaten several boxes of this candy, he should not suffer chocolate toxicity.
Symptoms of Milk Duds Ingestion in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten Milk Duds:
If you notice these symptoms in your dog and diarrhea or vomiting last more than 12 to 24 hours, it’s best to call the vet.
Treatment of Milk Dud Ingestion in Dogs
If your dog develops diarrhea and/or vomiting that won’t stop, there’s a possibility he could become dehydrated. So, the vet may treat your dog with medications to stop these symptoms. And your fur baby may also require an IV for fluids and to administer medications.
Other symptoms will be treated as they arise.
The good news is that most dogs will make a full recovery after eating Milk Duds! Even so, it’s best to keep this and other candy out of your dog’s reach. You’ll both be happier for it!