My Dog Ate Lumify Eye Drops What Should I Do?
Has your dog eaten Lumify eye drops? Are you worried the Lumify eye drops may make him sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it’s scary when a dog eats something they shouldn’t.
To help you see what to do, we’ve done research on whether or not Lumify eye drops can make your dogs sick. Let’s get started!
What are Lumify Eye Drops?
Lumify eye drops are drops that can be used to remove redness from the eyes. These are eye drops that are available over the counter. They’re in a similar class as other products you’ll find at the local pharmacy. However, these eye drops work differently than some other types of the eye drops.
Lumify eye drops contain an ingredient called brimonidine tartrate (0.025%). This is the same medication used for glaucoma patients; however, in Lumify eye drops, this ingredient is at a much lower dose. The glaucoma eye drops contain about eight times more of this ingredient than Lumify eye drops.
Lumify, with the much lower dose of brimonidine tartrate, has been approved by the FDA for use OTC. This medication works by dilating small veins in the eyes rather than small arteries like other OTC medications do.
Lumify & Dogs
We have done previous articles on glaucoma medication that contains brimonidine tartrate. When a dog eats glaucoma medicine, he can become very sick. At that higher level, the ingredient is toxic to dogs.
However, doing the research for this article, we were not able to find definitive information about Lumify eye drops, which contain a much lower amount of the active ingredient.
For this reason, we would recommend that you call the vet right away if your dog has eaten Lumify eye drops. It’s possible the medication could make him sick. In such a case, it’s better to err on the side of caution rather than take a chance of your fur baby becoming seriously ill.
It may be the drops won’t make your dog sick, other than an upset stomach, vomiting, and diarrhea. Even so, we recommend you call the vet to make sure. Calling the vet right away is the best advice we can give in this, especially knowing that in larger amounts, brimonidine tartrate is toxic to dogs.
So, we hope this article has helped you and your fur baby. And we wish you both all the best.