My Dog Ate Lobster Will He Get Sick?
Dogs are carnivores and love all types of meat, in case you haven’t noticed! And if you enjoy seafood, your fur baby has probably been right at your side and begging for a bite to eat. Dogs can also eat seafood, but what about lobster?
Can Dogs Eat Lobster?
The very short answer is yes! When it’s cooked and removed from the shell, lobster can be healthy treat for dogs, but in moderation.
Lobster is a healthy treat for dogs because it’s an excellent source of:
- Omega-3 fatty acids
- And more
Lobster Can Be Dangerous for Dogs: Ingredients & Raw
However, dogs should never eat raw lobster. Uncooked lobster, or any uncooked shellfish, may be infected with parasites that could make your dog very sick.
Other considerations on whether lobster is safe for dogs or not are the ingredients seasonings used on the meat. For instance, onion and garlic are toxic to dogs. Butter can be healthy, but too much can lead to weight can and obesity. Salt is also not a healthy choice for dogs.
So, if you choose to give your fur baby lobster once in a while, that’s OK. But make sure it doesn’t contain seasonings or other ingredients that could be toxic to your dog.Check Price on Amazon
The Lobster Shell is Dangerous for Dogs
In our research for this article, we came across forums where pet parents were discussing lobster for their dogs. It was a bit scary to see that many people allow their dogs to chew on or eat the lobster shell. Chewing and swallowing the lobster shell is very dangerous for dogs.
For one thing, the lobster shell is sharp when cracked and broken. Bits of sharp shell can cut the inside of your dog’s mouth, or if swallowed the sharp shell can cause tears in the esophagus and the digestive tract. These tears can lead to very serious health issues that result in a medical emergency.
Another hazard with lobster shells is that they can become lodged in the throat and become a choking hazard.
Lastly, if a dog eats enough of the shell, it’s possible the pieces will make it past the stomach only to become stuck in the intestinal tract. This can lead to a very dangerous condition called an intestinal blockage, which can be life threatening.
So, it’s OK to give your dog lobster once in a while, in small portions. Just be sure the lobster doesn’t contain ingredients that are toxic to dogs. And never give your dog the lobster shell to chew on. This way, your dog will be able to safely enjoy a healthy, tasty seafood snack with you!