My Dog Ate Lisinopril What Should I Do?
It can happen that your dog gets a hold of your medications. It could be he found a pill that rolled away where you couldn’t find it. Or he could have found your pill bottle and chewed it up, accidentally ingested the medication. This is a common problem that pet parents have with their dogs.
But what about lisinopril? Is this dangerous if ingested by a dog?
What is Lisinopril?
Lisinopril is an ace inhibitor, which is used to treat high blood pressure. It’s also used to treat heart failure and improve survival rates for those who have suffered a heart attack. This medication works to relax the blood vessels, so blood can easily flow through.
This medication is also used in veterinary medicine to treat high blood pressure and heart failure in dogs and cats. It can also help with kidney disease. The dose is much smaller than that taken by humans.
While this medication is safe for dogs, it can be dangerous if taken in large doses.Check Price on Amazon
Symptoms of Lisinopril Poisoning in Dogs
You may notice these signs and symptoms if Lisinopril has poisoned your dog:
- Change in heart rate
- Behavioral changes
- Pale gums
- Low blood pressure
If you know or suspect your dog has eaten Lisinopril, then call the vet immediately. This could be a life-threatening medical emergency.
Try to figure out how many of the pills your dog has ingested and take the medicine bottle with when heading to the vet’s. This information will help the vet in determining the dose your dog has had.
Treatment of Lisinopril Poisoning in DogsCheck Price on Amazon
At the vets, they will perform a complete physical exam of your dog. Then they will order some lab work, which may test to see if your dog has raised liver enzymes, liver/kidney issues, and more.
If your dog recently ate the pills, then the vet may try to use activated charcoal to bind the drug. This keeps it from being absorbed and helps the body to get rid of the toxin. The vet will also treat any other issues that may develop such as kidney or liver problems.
The prognosis is better for dogs who receive prompt medical care, and who have ingested a small amount of the medication. So, be sure to call the vet at once if your fur baby has swallowed Lisinopril. You may save your dog’s life.