My Dog Ate Laxatives What Should I Do?
Has your dog eaten laxatives? Are you worried the laxatives will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place.
In this article, we’ll take a look at laxatives and whether or not they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is a Laxative?
Laxatives are a type of medication that’s used to treat constipation. They may be used when other methods don’t work, such as increasing fiber in the diet, drinking plenty of fluids, and getting enough exercise.
These types of medications can be found OTC in pharmacies and grocery stores. There are also laxatives that are prescribed by doctors.
Laxatives come in four types:
- Bulk-form: these are used to add fiber and stimulate the bowels to move.
- Osmotic: draw water from the body and into the bowel to make poo softer and easier to pass
- Stimulant: stimulates the muscle in the gut to help move poo out
- Stool softeners: these also work to draw water into the poo to make it easier to pass
In most cases, stool softeners are not considered toxic to dogs. Some are even used to treat constipation in dogs. However, if your dog is constipated, never give him medication for meant for humans. Only use a laxative if your vet has advised you to do so.
Chocolate Ex-Lax & Dogs
There is a chocolate-flavored Ex-Lax, meant for humans, which can be toxic to dogs. This is because the medication contains chocolate, which is a known toxin for canines.
If your dog has ingested chocolate Ex-Lax, then you’ll need to call the vet right away.
Laxatives & Dogs
Apart from chocolate-flavored Ex-Lax, laxatives meant for humans can cause some problems in dogs. If your dog has ingested laxatives, you may notice these symptoms:
- Abdominal pain
The diarrhea and vomiting can last up to 24 hours. However, if your dog is showing other symptoms or you’re worried about your fur baby, then it’s always best to call the vet. They’ll have the best information on what to do next to help your canine companion.
The good news is that most dogs will survive a laxative overdose just fine. However, they won’t feel good or be very happy as they deal with the effects of the laxatives. Be sure to follow your vet’s advice, and you may want to keep your dog in an area that’s easy to clean until he’s feeling better.