My Dog Ate Hydrogen Peroxide What Should I Do?

Reviewed By Tom •  Updated: 09/23/20 •  3 min read
Dog Severe Toxicity Level
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

Do you use hydrogen peroxide in your home? Many of us keep it in the medicine cabinet to clean wounds and use it for other household purposes. But what happens if your dog swallows hydrogen peroxide?

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

What is Hydrogen Peroxide?

Hydrogen peroxide is a clear liquid that is chemical compound of hydrogen and water. The liquid is used as a mild antiseptic and comes in a variety of mixes including 3 percent, 6-10 percent, 35 percent, and 90 percent.

The type you’ll find tat the store is 3 percent, which is most often used to clean wounds. This type of hydrogen peroxide contains 97 percent water and 3 percent hydrogen peroxide.

How is Hydrogen Peroxide Used?

Your mother may have used this to clean your scrapes and minor cuts when you were a kid. It’s still used for this purpose today, too. However, many doctors today say that hydrogen peroxide not only kills of harmful microbes, but it also kills off cells that the body needs for healing. So, they now say not to use this liquid to clean wounds on you, your family or your dog.

It is strongly recommended to contact a Pet Poison Helpline or your veterinarian.

However, hydrogen peroxide is still recommended on occasion when a dog has swallowed a poison or a something he shouldn’t have eaten. This is a use that you should only consider if the vet has instructed you to use.

The reason is that if hydrogen peroxide is not given soon enough, then it can’t rid the body of the toxin. In addition, because it causes foaming and vomiting, there is a chance that the dog could inhale the foam/vomit/object, which can lead to asphyxiation.

One more note—the vomit may not completely remove all the contents of the stomach. So, you may believe the toxin/object has been safely removed, when there is still some left in the dog’s system. This can also lead to harmful medical issues, some that can be life-threatening.

So, never induce vomiting unless directed to do so by the vet.

What to Do If Your Dog Has Had Too Much Hydrogen Peroxide

If your dog has swallowed too much hydrogen peroxide, then you’ll need to call the vet immediately. Hydrogen peroxide in doses that are too high can cause some medical problems such as:

So, it’s not really recommended to induce vomiting on your own. And if your dog ingests any hydrogen peroxide, then be sure to call the vet right away.

(Visited 1,001 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Tom

Tom has always loved to write since he was little - he wanted to be either a writer or a veterinary doctor, but he ended up being a professional writer while most of his works are based on animals. He was born in San Francisco but later moved to Texas to continue his job as a writer. He graduated from the University of San Francisco where he studied biotechnology. He is happily married and a soon to be father!

Keep Reading