My Dog Ate Gummy Bears Will He Get Sick?
Do you enjoy gummy bears? They’re so cute! Those little gelatinous bears that taste so good! What on earth could be in those that could make your dog sick?
Actually, gummy bears, like other candies, are not a healthy snack for your fur baby. There are several reasons. Let’s take a look.
What are Gummy Bears?
Gummy bears are those small, gelatin-like candies, which usually come in a rainbow of colors. You may find them at the store in small bags, or in bins. They’re really cute and kids love them! While these little candies are fun and cute, they can contain some ingredients that are harmful to dogs.
Basic Ingredients in Gummy BearsCheck Price on Amazon
The most basic ingredients in Gummy Bears includes:
- Corn syrup
- Food colorings
- Citric acid
In addition, sugar-free Gummy Bears contain an artificial sweetener such as xylitol or aspartame. This form of the candy is made for diabetics and others who can’t or choose to avoid sugar.
When it comes to Gummy Bears and dogs, the two ingredients that are the most problematic are sugar and artificial sweeteners.
Health Issues of Sugar & Xylitol in Dogs
Sugar is just as unhealthy for dogs as it is to people. Too much sugar can make a dog hyperactive, overweight, obese, and even lead to diabetes. Sugar can also lead to tooth decay in dogs. Not only that but sugar can also cause inflammation throughout the dog’s body. Too much sugar can also cause a painful called pancreatitis and could even lead to heart disease.
On the other hand, artificial sweeteners also cause health issues in dogs. Most artificial sweeteners, such as aspartame (and others) are not toxic to dogs, though they may cause digestive tract issues. However, xylitol has been shown to be toxic to dogs.
Symptoms of Too Much Sugar in DogsCheck Price on Amazon
If your dog’s had too much sugar, then you may notice these symptoms:
These symptoms are what you’d notice right away. If your fur baby continues to eat too much sugar, he may then develop other symptoms such as weight gain, and more.
If your canine companion has eaten only 2-3 Gummy Bears, he should be OK. You may notice some vomiting and diarrhea. And your dog may feel a bit nauseated and not want to eat.
However, if he’s eaten an entire package of Gummy Bears sweetened with sugar, then it’s a good idea to call the vet right away. Your fur baby could become sicker from too many Gummy Bears and may need to be treated for extreme vomiting and diarrhea.
Xylitol Toxicity in Dogs
This is a serious condition in dogs that requires immediate treatment. It should be considered a medical emergency.
If your dog has eaten 1 or 2 Gummy Bears, he should be OK. You may notice some gastric issues, but he will be OK.
On the other hand, if your fur baby has eaten more than that, then it’s a good idea to check with the vet. It most cases the vet will ask that you bring the dog in to be checked.
You may have noticed the symptoms if your dog’s been poisoned by xylitol:
- Accelerated heart rate
- Unstable walking
- Abnormal still (may be tarry-looking)
While Gummy Bears may seem like a great treat for your dog, it’s really not a good idea to let them have any of these small candies. It’s not really good for them. Instead, you can give them a sweet fruit that’s an excellent treat for them, such as an apple! Your fur baby may be a little disappointed, but it’s best to keep him healthy with snacks that are good for him!