My Dog Ate Golden Raisins Will He Get Sick?

Reviewed By Kim •  Updated: 10/22/21 •  3 min read
Dog Severe Toxicity Level
The contents of the website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

Dog Ate Golden Raisins

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Do you enjoy eating golden raisins? Many people do! Golden raisins can be part of a healthy diet! And we’re pretty sure your dog is probably begging when he sees you eating golden raisins! However, are golden raisins safe for dogs to eat? Can golden raisins make a dog sick?

Has your dog eaten golden raisins? Are you worried that golden raisins will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something he shouldn’t.

In this article, we’ll take a look at golden raisins and whether or not they can make your dog sick. Let’s get started!

It is strongly recommended to contact a Pet Poison Helpline or your veterinarian.

What are Golden Raisins?

To start with, we must say that regular (dark) raisins are very different from golden raisins. The difference is how the raisins are processed. Both types of raisins come from grapes. However, dark raisins are usually sun-dried for about three weeks, which causes their dark brown color.

On the other hand, golden raisins are dried in large dehydrators, with controlled temperatures and humidity levels. In addition, the golden raisins are also treated with sulfur dioxide, which is an antioxidant, which is used as a preservative in white wine, dried fruit, and even used in health supplements. It’s this drying process that causes golden raisins to have a lighter color and flavor.

So, dark raisins and golden raisins, while coming from the same fruit, are entirely different from one another. While golden raisins can be healthy for humans, what about dogs? Can golden raisins make a dog sick?

Golden Raisins & Dogs

Unfortunately, golden raisins (and all raisins) are toxic to dogs. Scientists are not sure exactly what substance in the raisins is toxic; however, it is known that raisins are toxic to dogs.

Eating golden raisins (dark raisins or even grapes) can even lead to death.

Symptoms of Golden Raisin Ingestion in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten golden raisins:

If your dog shows any of these symptoms, then call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.

The vet may try to induce vomiting in order to rid your dog’s system of the golden raisins & their toxin. After this, the vet may treat your dog with IV fluids for the next 36 to 72 hours. They will also treat other symptoms as they arise.

The prognosis depends on how soon the dog receives medical treatment. If the vet can treat the dog soon after the dog’s eaten the golden raisins, there’s a good chance the dog will make a full recovery. However, in dogs that have developed kidney failure, the survival rate is about 50/50.

So, if your dog has eaten golden raisins, seeking help from the vet is imperative to save your dog’s life.

(Visited 158 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.


Kim is a talented author, who loves animals especially dogs. She engaged in writing books and articles relating to animals a decade ago. Kim resides in Chicago with her husband and son. The family is the proud owner of a dog and a parrot (Jack and Lily). Kim wanted more than these two pets, but her husband put his foot down... She often visits elementary schools to talk to the kids about what she learned about pets and how they could learn from them.

Keep Reading