My Dog Ate Godiva Chocolate
Has your dog eaten Godiva chocolate? Are you worried the Godiva chocolate will make him sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something he shouldn’t.
In this article, we’ll take a look at Godiva chocolate and whether or not it can make your dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Godiva Chocolate?Check Price on Amazon
Godiva chocolate is a brand of gourmet chocolates that are available as truffles and gifts. The chocolates were developed by the Draps family in Belgium. They’re extremely popular and bear a famous name! The chocolates were called “Godiva” after Lady Godiva.
The Draps family named the chocolates after the famous Lady Godiva, who rode a horse. That wasn’t unusual at the time. What was unusual is that the lady wore no clothing as she rode the horse. She did this in order to try to get her husband, Leofric the Dane, to lower taxes in his area.
The Draps wanted a unique name for their chocolates and so chose the name, Godiva.
The chocolates come in various types, such as dark, milk, white, and more.
While humans can safely enjoy Godiva chocolates, what about dogs?
Godiva Chocolates & Dogs
Godiva chocolates, and all types of chocolates, are toxic to dogs. Chocolate contains a substance, called theobromine, that dogs are not able to metabolize.
The level of toxicity depends on the type of chocolate and the amount of chocolate the dog has eaten. Dark chocolate contains the most theobromine, while white chocolate contains none of this substance. Milk chocolate has a lower amount of theobromine than dark chocolate.
Symptoms of Chocolate Toxicity in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten chocolate:
- Increased thirst
- Excessive urination
- Racing heart
- Heart failure
Keep in mind that it can take several hours for chocolate toxicity symptoms to develop. So, if you have found your dog eating chocolate, don’t wait for symptoms to appear. Call the vet immediately. This is a medical emergency.
Treatment will depend on the amount and type of chocolate, as well as the size and weight of your dog. The vet’s goal is to decontaminate your dog’s systems. This may be done by the vet inducing vomiting. They may also use activated charcoal and then provide supportive treatment.
In most cases, if a dog receives prompt medical care, he has a better chance of making a complete recovery.