We live at a time when many medications are available to treat everything from vomiting and diarrhea to pain and seizures. One of the most common medications used to treat pain, seizures, and other conditions is Gabapentin. Gabapentin is an effective medication; however, what happens if a dog eats it?
Has your dog eaten Gabapentin? Are you worried that Gabapentin will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve gathered information about Gabapentin and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Gabapentin?
Gabapentin (also called Neurontin, Aclonium, Equipax, Gantin, Gabarone, Garlise, Neurostil, and Progresse) is a medication used to treat a wide range of conditions, including anxiety, pain, and seizures in dogs and humans. This medication works to slow the neurotransmitters that take messages from the body to the brain. When these messages are slowed down, the effect is to feel less pain, have fewer seizures, and reduce anxious feelings. Gabapentin may be used alone or with other medications, such as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories and more.
The doses of Gabapentin are different for dogs and humans. Dogs receive a much lower dose. The most common dose of Gabapentin for dogs is 5-10 mg/kg of body weight.
In addition, there’s a liquid version of Gabapentin for dogs. There’s also one for humans; however, this version is made with xylitol.
While Gabapentin is safe when given in the right dose, what happens if a dog eats this medication?
Gabapentin & Dogs
A dog can eat human Gabapentin and overdose on the medication. A dog could do the same on medication meant for canines, too.
In addition, a dog could become poisoned by eating the liquid form of the medication made for humans. The xylitol in these formulations is highly toxic to dogs, and it only takes a small amount of xylitol to make a dog very sick.
Symptoms of Gabapentin Overdose in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten Gabapentin:
If your dog is showing any of these symptoms or has eaten liquid Gabapentin that contains xylitol, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.
Be sure to let the vet know the dosage of the medication and whether it was pills or liquid.
Treatment of Gabapentin Overdose in Dogs
The vet may induce vomiting and use activated charcoal if your dog recently ate Gabapentin. Inducing vomiting is usually done within 2 hours of ingestion. The vet may also use activated charcoal to remove the medication from your dog’s system.
In some cases, the vet may need to pump your dog’s stomach and use activated charcoal. The vet will also treat other symptoms as they arise. Your fur baby may need an IV for fluids and to administer medications.
The prognosis is best for dogs who receive prompt medical treatment after eating Gabapentin. In the future, it’s a good idea to keep Gabapentin and all medications out of your dog’s reach. You’ll both be happier for it!