My Dog Ate Foam What Should I Do?
Foam is found in everything from furniture, pillows, kids’ toys, and dog toys! It can be fun to play with. However, a curious dog may even try to eat foam he’s pulled out of something! But what happens if a dog eats foam?
Has your dog eaten foam? Are you worried the foam may make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve gathered information about foam and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Foam?
Foam is used in furniture, toys, and household goods and is usually made from chemicals. Most foam is made with polyol, polyisocyanates, water, and other chemicals. The most common polyisocyanates used to make foam are diphenylethane diisocyanate (MDI) and toluene diisocyanate (TDI). These are made from petrochemicals. Foam may also contain other additives.
While foam is safe when used as directed, what happens if a dog eats it? Will the foam make a dog sick?
Foam & Dogs
Unfortunately, foam can be toxic to dogs due to the chemicals used to make foam. Another problem is that foam can cause intestinal obstruction in dogs. Once swallowed, the foam may become lodged in the dog’s digestive system and cause a blockage. This can be a life-threatening condition if not treated.
What to Do If Your Dog’s Eaten Foam
If your dog has eaten a small piece of foam, chances are he will be OK. A small piece of foam may safely travel through your dog’s digestive system and come out in his poop within 24 to 48 hours. It’s also possible your fur baby may vomit the foam back up.
If your dog has eaten a large amount of foam, it’s best to call the vet immediately. The danger is that the foam could cause an obstruction, which can be life-threatening. It’s best to treat this condition before your dog shows symptoms. In this case, the vet may ask you to bring the dog in.
The vet will check your dog for any signs of an obstruction. If your dog has symptoms of an obstruction, the vet may perform surgery to remove the blockage.
The good news is that dogs who receive prompt treatment have the best chance of making a full recovery! And in the future, keep all foam away from your dog. Prevention is the best medicine!