Ferrero Rocher is a favorite for many people, including pet parents. These lovely candies are full of yummy goodness, and it’s hard to eat just one! If you’re a pet parent who has a dog, we bet your fur baby begs when he sees you eating Ferrero Rocher! What should you do? Can a dog safely eat Ferrero Rocher? Or what happens if your dog accidentally eats a Ferrero Rocher?
Has your dog eaten Ferrero Rocher? Are you worried the Ferrero Rocher will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when a dog eats something like this.
We’ve put together information about Ferrero Rocher and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Ferrero Rocher?
Ferrero Rocher is a chocolate and hazelnut candy that’s produced by the Ferrero Company of Italy. These candies are small balls of roasted hazelnut wrapped in a thin shell of hazelnut and milk chocolate. What’s not to love?
These candies contain the following ingredients:
- Milk chocolate
- Cocoa butter
- Cocoa mass
- Skin milk powder
- Palm oil
- Wheat flour
- Cocoa powder
- Sodium bicarbonate
With ingredients like these, it’s no wonder that Ferrero Rocher is a favorite all around the world! While these candies are safe for humans (in moderation), what about dogs? Can dogs eat Ferrero Rocher?
Ferrero Rocher & Dogs
First, we must start by saying dogs should not eat much candy. All the sugar, fat, and other ingredients are not good for dogs. In addition, chocolate is highly toxic to dogs, and they should never eat it.
What’s more, hazelnuts can be dangerous for dogs if the nuts are not processed correctly. They can carry a mycotoxin which can be dangerous. However, with regards to Ferrero Rocher, the hazelnuts seem to be treated correctly and will not pose a danger.
Having said that, if your dog eats one Ferrero Rocher he may have an upset stomach, vomiting, and diarrhea. These symptoms should be limited to 12 to 24 hours (or less). If it’s a small dog, the amount of chocolate may be enough to cause illness. If they eat more than one, it could definitely cause chocolate poisoning. If your dog has eaten chocolates, contact your veterinarian and they can calculate how much chocolate your dog has eaten and if it’s a poisonous amount. If your dog has eaten the chocolate recently, your vet may decide to induce vomiting in your dog to prevent illness.
As always, if you are worried that your dog has eaten a Ferrero Rocher, we recommend calling the vet. They will offer advice on what to do next for your canine companion. It’s always best to keep these and other candies out of your dog’s reach. Prevention is always the best medicine!
Aisling O'Keeffe, MVB CertSAM ISFMCertAdvFBThis article has been reviewed and approved by an independent Veterinarian: Aisling qualified as a vet 7 years ago from University College Dublin. She has worked in a mixture of UK small animal hospitals along with Irish practices. She worked for 3 years in a feline-only hospital where she further developed her feline medicine and surgery skills. She currently lives and works in a small animal hospital in Cork, Ireland.
Review symptoms, medications & behavior to keep your pets healthy with a Vet Online in just minutes.Ask a Vet Live Now