Do you enjoy DIY projects at home? They can be so relaxing and fun! Many DIY home projects use materials such as epoxy resin, which is very popular for many types of crafts. But what happens if your dog eats the epoxy resin he finds?
Has your dog eaten epoxy resin? Are you worried that the epoxy resin will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve gathered information about epoxy resin and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Epoxy Resin?
Epoxy resin is a material that’s used for a wide range of purposes. It’s created by mixing two substances and allowing them to cure (dry). When the substances are mixed, a chemical reaction results in the epoxy changing from a liquid to a solid state (when dried or cured).
There are many types of epoxy resins, with each being used for specific projects. They can be used for sealing living spaces, creating art, doing repairs, casting molds for figures, and more.
When used correctly by humans, epoxy resin is safe. But what happens if a dog eats epoxy resin?
Epoxy Resin & Dogs
Epoxy resin is not considered to be toxic to dogs, even if it has been cured. However, liquid epoxy resin can be dangerous to dogs. Uncured resin can cause skin irritation or even chemical burns. And if he’s eaten mixed with a hardener, this can also make your fur baby pretty sick.
Symptom of Epoxy Resin Ingestion in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten epoxy resin:
- Lack of appetite
- And more
If your dog shows any of these symptoms and eats uncured epoxy resin, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency. Do not induce vomiting unless the vet tells you to do so.
Prevention is Always the Best Medicine
When you’re working on projects with epoxy resin, it’s best to keep these chemicals out of your dog’s reach. If you have a curious dog that likes to get into things, you may want to consider keeping him out of the room while you work. In addition, be sure to keep these and all chemicals out of your dog’s reach and in a dog-proof or locked cabinet.
Keeping your dog safe is imperative, and prevention is always the best medicine!