My Dog Ate Daffodil Bulb What Should I Do?

By Kyoko •  Updated: 02/15/22 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

My Dog Ate Daffodil Bulb

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Daffodils are so pretty in the spring! They’re one of the first flowers that come out. The flowers bring a welcome touch of color and life to nature! However, what happens if a dog eats a daffodil bulb?

Has your dog eaten a daffodil bulb? Are you worried the daffodil bulb will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.

We’ve put together information about daffodil bulbs and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

What is a Daffodil Bulb?

Daffodils are those bright yellow flowers that first appear in the spring. They’re usually some of the first flowers to burst forth! Daffodils are easy to grow, as they’re not particular about the soil they’re in. They just keep blooming every year! What’s more, these beautiful flowers are not eaten by rabbits, deer, or other critters.

These flowers grow from bulbs, which are fleshy packets found at the root of the plant. Bulbs store food for the plant to survive through many kinds of conditions. Many plants, including daffodils, are grown from bulbs. When planted, the bulb produces a young plant that eventually matures and produces a flower, in the case of daffodils.

However, what happens if a dog eats a daffodil bulb? Are daffodil bulbs toxic to dogs?

Daffodil Bulbs & Dogs

Unfortunately, daffodil bulbs are toxic to dogs. All parts of the daffodil contain an alkaloid called lycorine. This is a substance that is toxic and can make a dog very sick. The bulb of the daffodil contains a concentrated amount of lycorine, which makes the bulb the most dangerous for dogs.

Symptoms of Daffodil Bulb & Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten a daffodil bulb:

If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency. Don’t wait to see if your dog’s symptoms improve or worsen. He needs medical treatment now.

Chances are your fur baby will need to be hospitalized for 12 to 24 hours, or more depending on his symptoms.

The good news is that dogs who receive prompt medical treatment have the best chance of making a full recovery. So, be sure to get your dog to the vet ASAP if he’s eaten daffodil bulbs.

(Visited 90 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Kyoko

Kyoko is from a family of 3 and moved to New York with her parents and siblings when she was 13. Kyoko is fond of spending a great amount of time with pets, specifically her beagle Luna and cat Missy. Her boyfriend often complains that she spends too much time giving attention to their animals. Kyoko has written dozens of articles concerning pets and is aiming at owning a pet shop one day!

Keep Reading