My Dog Ate Cuticle Oil What Should I Do?
Many people use cuticle oil for its moisturizing, healing properties. As a result, this is a popular product, which can be found in many households. This means more dogs can gain access to cuticle oil by accident.
Is cuticle oil harmful to dogs? Can cuticle oil make a dog sick?
In this article, we’ll take a look at cuticle oil, its ingredients, and whether or not this product can make your dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Cuticle Oil?
Cuticle oil is used to moisturize nails and cuticles. It’s a great help with cuticles, and nails have become extremely dry and damaged. And it only takes a few drops of oil to work. Just put the oil on a cotton ball or brush, and then apply where needed. It’s also beneficial to massage the oil into dry nails and cuticles.Check Price on Amazon
Cuticle oil is usually made from fruit or nut oils. Some of the most common oils used in this product include:
- Jojoba oil
- Flaxseed oil
- Sunflower oil
- Olive oil
- Apricot oil
- Almond oil
- Avocado oil
- Coconut oil
- And more
These oils are especially moisturizing, making them an excellent choice for dry nails and cuticles.
While cuticle oil is safe for humans, can cuticle oil be harmful to your dog?
Cuticle Oil & Dogs
The good news is that cuticle oil is not toxic to dogs! However, this is an oil that can cause digestive problems in dogs.
Symptoms of Cuticle Oil Ingestion in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten cuticle oil:
These symptoms shouldn’t last longer than 24 hours. If they do, then it’s a good idea to call the vet. You want to avoid your dog becoming dehydrated.
Allergic Reaction to Cuticle Oil in DogsCheck Price on Amazon
Another issue is that some dogs may be allergic to the ingredients included in the oil. Thankfully this is rare, but it’s good to know your dog could be allergic to the oil. In this case, you may notice these symptoms if your dog is having an allergic reaction to cuticle oil:
- Diarrhea (may be bloody)
- Breathing difficulty
- Skin irritation & redness
- Extreme itchiness
- Face becomes swollen
These can be signs of a severe allergic reaction. If your dog is showing these symptoms, then call the vet immediately. This is a medical emergency.
In most cases, your dog will only have to deal with a digestive upset for a day or so. After that, he should be back to normal after eating cuticle oil!