My Dog Ate Crunch Bar What Should I Do?
Don’t you just love a Crunch bar? Nothing is as satisfying as eating something that’s full of chocolate and crispy stuff! But what happens if your dog eats a Crunch bar?
Has your dog eaten a Crunch bar? Are you worried the Crunch bar will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve put together some information about Crunch bars and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is a Crunch Bar?
A Crunch bar is a chocolate candy bar created by the Ferrara Candy Company in the US, though Nestle produces the bars around the world. The bars are made with 100% real milk chocolate and crisped rice.
All of the ingredients in a Crunch bar include:
- Cocoa butter
- Nonfat milk
- Milk fat
- Soy lecithin
- Natural flavor
- Rice flour
While Crunch bars are safe for humans in moderation, what about dogs? Can a crunch bar make a dog sick?
Crunch Bars & Dogs
Unfortunately, Crunch bars can make a dog very sick. The reason is the bar is made with chocolate, which is toxic to dogs. While the chocolate is milk chocolate, the bar does contain enough of this ingredient to make a dog pretty sick.
Milk chocolate isn’t as toxic as other types of chocolate; however, if your dog has eaten a whole Crunch bar, that’s enough to make him sick. However, in most cases, chocolate will not kill a dog, though that can happen.
Chocolate contains a substance called theobromine. Dogs are not able to metabolize theobromine.
Symptoms of Chocolate Toxicity in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten a Crunch bar:
- Increased thirst
- Excessive urination
- Racing heart rate
- Muscle tremors
- Heart failure
If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, then call the vet immediately. This is an emergency. These symptoms may develop and worsen over time. The longer theobromine remains in the system, the more damage it can do. So, it’s important to get your dog medical attention now. His life depends on it!
The good news is that most dogs who receive prompt treatment will make a full recovery. The key is to get the dog to the vet ASAP.