My Dog Ate Crunch Bar What Should I Do?

Reviewed By Julie •  Updated: 02/13/22 •  3 min read
Dog Severe Toxicity Level
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

My Dog Ate Crunch Bar

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Don’t you just love a Crunch bar? Nothing is as satisfying as eating something that’s full of chocolate and crispy stuff! But what happens if your dog eats a Crunch bar?

Has your dog eaten a Crunch bar? Are you worried the Crunch bar will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.

We’ve put together some information about Crunch bars and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

It is strongly recommended to contact a Pet Poison Helpline or your veterinarian.

What is a Crunch Bar?

A Crunch bar is a chocolate candy bar created by the Ferrara Candy Company in the US, though Nestle produces the bars around the world. The bars are made with 100% real milk chocolate and crisped rice.

All of the ingredients in a Crunch bar include:

Milk chocolate

Crisped rice

While Crunch bars are safe for humans in moderation, what about dogs? Can a crunch bar make a dog sick?

Crunch Bars & Dogs

Unfortunately, Crunch bars can make a dog very sick. The reason is the bar is made with chocolate, which is toxic to dogs. While the chocolate is milk chocolate, the bar does contain enough of this ingredient to make a dog pretty sick.

Milk chocolate isn’t as toxic as other types of chocolate; however, if your dog has eaten a whole Crunch bar, that’s enough to make him sick. However, in most cases, chocolate will not kill a dog, though that can happen.

Chocolate contains a substance called theobromine. Dogs are not able to metabolize theobromine.

Symptoms of Chocolate Toxicity in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten a Crunch bar:

More rare:

If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, then call the vet immediately. This is an emergency. These symptoms may develop and worsen over time. The longer theobromine remains in the system, the more damage it can do. So, it’s important to get your dog medical attention now. His life depends on it!

The good news is that most dogs who receive prompt treatment will make a full recovery. The key is to get the dog to the vet ASAP.

(Visited 719 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Julie

Julie is a graduate of the University of North Carolina, Wilmington, where she studied Animal science. Though contrary to the opinion of her parents she was meant to study pharmacy, but she was in love with animals especially cats. Julie currently works in an animal research institute (NGO) in California and loves spending quality time with her little cat. She has the passion for making research about animals, how they survive, their way of life among others and publishes it. Julie is also happily married with two kids.

Keep Reading