My Dog Ate Crown Molding What Should I Do?
Do you have a dog that likes to chew on woodwork and furniture? If so, you’re not alone! There are even dogs that chew on crown molding! Why on earth would a dog do that? And can crown molding make a dog sick?
Has your dog eaten some crown molding? Are you worried the crown molding will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve put together information about crown molding and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Crown Molding?
Crown molding is a type of cornice that’s used in decorative molding on the ceiling or on top of a wall. However, crown molding may also be used around windows, on top of doors, and cabinets. It’s used to add a focal point to a room and make the space look more attractive.
Crown molding is usually made out of plaster or wood.
While crown molding can be a pretty decorative touch, what happens if a dog eats it?
Crown Molding & Dogs
Why would a dog eat crown molding? There are many reasons. For instance, a dog who has separation anxiety may chew up crown molding in an attempt to get out of a room. Or young puppies who are teething may chew on crown molding to gain relief from their itchy, aching gums. Then there are dogs who just love to chew!
Chewing is a natural behavior in dogs; however, chewing and eating crown molding can be dangerous. For one thing, the paint in older homes may contain lead, which can cause lead poisoning in dogs.
There’s also the possibility the mold crowing could be made of wood. Wood splinters could cause injuries in the mouth, become lodged in the throat (choking the dog), or even puncture or tear the digestive tract. And if a dog chews up a lot of wood, the splinters could even cause an intestinal blockage, which can be life-threatening.
These are all very dangerous conditions.
What to Do If Your Dog Eats Crown Molding
Because there are so many things that can develop from this problem, we highly recommend calling your vet right away. Let the vet know how much of the molding was eaten and what material(s) it was made of. Then let the vet know about what time this happened. The vet also needs to know about any symptoms your dog may be having.
Do not induce vomiting unless the vet advises you to do so. In some cases, this could cause serious injury to your dog.
The good news is that most dogs will make a full recovery with prompt treatment! First, however, it’s essential to figure out what’s causing your dog to eat crown molding. Then, keep him away from crown molding as much as possible if he seems to love eating this!