My Dog Ate Crisp Packet What Should I Do?

By Kim •  Updated: 01/22/22 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website!

My Dog Ate Crisp Packet

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Do you like to snack on crisps once in a while? They’re so good and make a tasty snack! As you eat them, does your dog come up and bed for some crisps? If so, you’re not alone! Dogs will eat just about anything, especially whatever they see you eating! However, what happens if a dog eats a crisp packet?

Has your dog eaten a crisp packet? Are you worried the crisp packet will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.

We’ve put together some information about crisp packets and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

What are Crisp Packets?

Crisp packets are those packages made to hold crisps. But what are the packets made from? They’re usually made from plastic, including the shiny inside layer.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Crisp packets are designed to keep these yummy snacks fresh and extend their shelf life. But can crisp packets make a dog sick?

Crisp Packets & Dogs

Unfortunately, crisp packets can make a dog very sick. For one thing, if the dog ends up with the packet on his head, there’s a danger the dog may be suffocated. That’s because these are plastic bags. If a dog accidentally gets one of these over his head, the plastic keeps air out. This means the dog is unable to breathe and can suffocate.

Another problem that a crisp bag may cause is choking. After the dog swallows the bag, it may become lodged in his throat and cause him to choke due to cutting off his airways. Your dog may cough and gag if he’s choking.

In addition, crisp packages may cause an intestinal obstruction if eaten. The crisp bag may become lodged anywhere within the dog’s digestive tract and cause a blockage. This can be a deadly condition and requires fast treatment by a vet. You may notice symptoms such as diarrhea, vomiting, lack of appetite, abdominal pain & swelling, and more.

If your dog has a bag over his head, remove it immediately and then call the vet. Also, call your vet if your dog has any of the other symptoms mentioned above. These can be deadly issues that need treatment ASAP.

If your dog has a penchant for crisps and crisp packages, be sure to throw the bags away. Don’t leave them lying around. You may also want to consider purchasing a dog-safe wastebasket to keep your fur baby out of the trash!

(Visited 356 times, 1 visits today)

Kim

Kim is a talented author, who loves animals especially dogs. She engaged in writing books and articles relating to animals a decade ago. Kim resides in Chicago with her husband and son. The family is the proud owner of a dog and a parrot (Jack and Lily). Kim wanted more than these two pets, but her husband put his foot down... She often visits elementary schools to talk to the kids about what she learned about pets and how they could learn from them.

Keep Reading

[class^="wpforms-"]
[class^="wpforms-"]