My Dog Ate Crayola Marker What Should I Do?

By Kim •  Updated: 01/19/22 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

My Dog Ate Crayola Marker

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Kids love to draw with all types of things, including Crayola Markers. The markers come in vibrant colors that are fun to use! But what happens if a dog eats a Crayola Marker? Can the Crayola Marker make a dog sick?

Has your dog eaten a Crayola Marker? Are you worried the Crayola Marker will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.

We’ve put together some information about Crayola Markers and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

What are Crayola Markers?

Crayola Markers are art supplies that are made by the Crayola company, marketed specifically for children. The markers come in a wide range of vibrant colors that can be used to draw and color. And they contain ink that’s quick drying.

Kids love Crayola Markers and all the colors they come in. The markers are easy for any child to use and are washable. So, if your child happens to draw on a surface (such as the floor or wall), the ink will wash off in most cases!

While Crayola Markers are safe when used as directed, what happens if a dog eats a Crayola marker?

Crayola Markers & Dogs

Let’s start with the good news! The ink in Crayola Markers is non-toxic. So, that means the ink won’t poison your fur baby.

However, the markers have plastic tubes containing the ink and the spongy nib used for drawing. If a dog chewed up the plastic tube and swallowed it, this could present a serious problem.

For one thing, chewing the hard plastic could cause the tube to splinter into small, sharp pieces. These small, sharp pieces of plastic could cause cuts and tears in the mouth, the throat, or the digestive tract.

Next, if the dog swallowed a large piece of the tubing, it’s possible the plastic tube could become lodged in the dog’s digestive tract. This could lead to an intestinal obstruction, which can be deadly if left untreated.

So, if your dog has only chewed off the nib of a Crayola Marker, chances are he will be OK. However, if your dog has chewed up the plastic tube of a marker or eaten the tube, call the vet immediately. Your dog needs to see the vet ASAP.

The good news is that most dogs who receive prompt medical care have a better chance of making a full recovery. So, be sure to call the vet immediately if your canine companion has chomped the plastic tubing of a Crayola Marker!

(Visited 1,376 times, 4 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Kim

Kim is a talented author, who loves animals especially dogs. She engaged in writing books and articles relating to animals a decade ago. Kim resides in Chicago with her husband and son. The family is the proud owner of a dog and a parrot (Jack and Lily). Kim wanted more than these two pets, but her husband put his foot down... She often visits elementary schools to talk to the kids about what she learned about pets and how they could learn from them.

Keep Reading