My Dog Ate Crawfish What Should I Do?
Do you and your family love to eat crawfish? They’re very popular in some parts of the country! Does your dog come up begging for his portion as you eat your crawfish? After all, as the head of the pack, you’re supposed to share with your dog! But are crawfish safe for dogs?
Has your dog eaten crawfish? Are you worried the crawfish will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve put together some information about crawfish and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What are Crawfish?
Crawfish go by this and many other names, such as crayfish, mudbugs, crawdads, and more! These are freshwater crustaceans that live in different parts of the US but can also be found in other parts of the world. They usually live in swamps, lakes, rivers, and other types of freshwaters. They strongly resemble small lobsters and can be used in a wide range of recipes.
Some love to eat crawfish boiled or steamed. Others like to use them in recipes such as salads, sandwiches, and more. People say they taste somewhat like lobsters or other crustaceans.
While humans can safely eat crawfish, what about dogs? Can crawfish make a dog sick?
Crawfish and Dogs
First, let’s start with the good news! Crawfish that’s been shelled and fully cooked can be safe for dogs to eat in moderation. However, it depends on other ingredients that were used for cooking the crustaceans. For instance, dishes that use garlic and onions would be toxic to dogs. However, plain steamed or boiled crawfish, without the shells, are safe for dogs.
Now for the bad news. The crawfish shells can be dangerous for dogs to eat. The problem is that the shells are hard and can splinter when chewed. The splinters can cut the mouth or damage teeth, they can get stuck in the throat and choke the dog, or they become lodged in the dog’s digestive tract. In addition, shells can clump together and create an intestinal blockage, which can be deadly if left untreated.
So, if your dog has eaten crawfish shells, it’s best to call the vet right away. Don’t wait to see if your dog develops symptoms or not. The sooner he receives treatment, the better.
Dogs who receive prompt treatment have the best chance of making a full recovery after eating crawfish shells.