My Dog Ate Couch Foam What Should I Do?
It can happen—dogs love to chew on all types of things, including furniture like the couch! You may leave for work in the morning and then come home in the evening only to find foam everywhere. It can look like a tornado’s gone through your home! Imagine the stuffing from one couch strewn everywhere!
That’s not a pretty picture! But what happens if your dog eats some of the couch foam? Will the couch foam make your dog sick?
What is Couch Foam Made Of?
The foam in your couch is made with chemicals that can be very dangerous. The foam is called polyurethane and contains polyol, which is a type of alcohol. It also contains diisocyanate, which is a petroleum product. These products can be toxic if swallowed.
However, there’s another serious problem for dogs that ingest this foam. If the dog eats enough of the foam, there’s a chance he could develop an intestinal obstruction. This is because the foam can become compacted in the digestive tract, and then cause a blockage. This is a very serious medical condition.
What if My Dog Eats Couch Foam?
If your fur baby eats a small piece of the foam, chances are he will be just fine. He may vomit and/or have diarrhea. You’ll want to monitor your dog for any concerning symptoms. Also, check your dog’s poop to see if the foam has come out. If you don’t see it in a day or so, then you should go ahead and call the vet.
On the other hand, if your dog eats a large amount of couch foam, then you’ll want to call the vet immediately. Your dog is in danger of developing an intestinal obstruction.
Symptoms of an Intestinal Obstruction in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten couch foam:
- Excessive drooling
- Abdominal pain & swelling
- Loss of appetite
If you know or suspect your dog has eaten a large amount of couch foam, and/or if he develops any of these symptoms, then call the vet immediately. This could be a life-threatening medical emergency. Your dog needs treatment now.
While an intestinal blockage can be life-threatening, fast treatment can save your dog’s life. This is why it’s essential to contact your vet as soon as possible.
It’s not always possible to keep your dog from eating the couch, but you may want to consider leaving him in a room that doesn’t contain furniture when you need to leave him alone! You may also want to talk with the vet about the possibility of your dog having separation anxiety. There are treatments the vet can suggest that may help your dog feel better and keep him from being destructive.