Cheez Its are a popular snack for many pet parents. These yummy treats can be eaten alone or with other food, such as sandwiches or salads. And you can bet your dog may love to have some, too! But are Cheez It safe for dogs?
Has your dog eaten Cheez Its? Are you worried the Cheez Its will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve put together information about Cheez Its and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What are Cheez It?
Cheez Its are a cheese cracker snack produced by the Kellogg Company. The snacks are almost square and are made with wheat flour, vegetable oil, salt, and cheese (skim milk, salt, and spices).
The crackers were first introduced in 1921 and have been a staple ever since! What’s more, these yummy cheese crackers come in a wide range of flavors (too many to list here).
While Cheez Its are safe for humans (in moderation), what about dogs? Can dogs eat Cheez Its?
Cheez It & Dogs
We’re happy to say that dogs can eat one or two Cheez Its as a once in a while snack. However, they should not eat these crackers too often.
One of the problems with these crackers is that they contain cheese, which some dogs may not digest well. Cheese can make a lactose intolerant dog (which is most dogs) sick. What’s more, some dogs are allergic to dairy products and may suffer a severe allergic reaction to the cheese in this product.
Other issues with Cheez Its is that they contain a lot of fat and salt, both of which can make dogs sick if eaten in large amounts. In addition, some Cheez Its may contain other ingredients that are toxic to dogs, including onion and garlic.
So, it’s safe for dogs to eat Cheez Its if they’re plain, and the dogs only eat one or two as a rare treat. If a dog eats more Cheez, he could become sick.
Symptoms of Cheez It Ingestion in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten a large number of Cheez Its:
- Allergic reaction
If you notice these symptoms in your dog, it’s best to call the vet right away. This could be an emergency.
Treatment of Cheez It Ingestion in Dogs
Treatment depends on your dog’s symptoms. The vet can treat your dog’s diarrhea and medication and may also treat your dog with other medications to settle his stomach.
In the event your dog has an allergic reaction, he may need to be treated with medications that counteract the allergic reaction. The type of medications used depends on how severe the reaction is.
We’re happy to say that most dogs go on to make a full recovery after receiving medical treatment. And if your dog loves Cheez Its, be sure to keep them out of his reach. He can safely enjoy these crackers if he’s not allergic to them and only has a couple crackers once in a while!