My Dog Ate Burt’s Bees Chapstick What Should I Do?
Burt’s Bees is a popular brand that makes chapstick and other products. You may love this chapstick so much that your dog notices. He may believe you’re eating this product and want to try some for himself! Dogs are also curious about everything in their environment.
If your dog comes upon the chapstick sitting on a table, in a purse, or backpack, he may just want to see what it is. Your fur baby may even try to eat it! But what happens if a dog eats Burt’s Bees chapstick?
Has your dog eaten Burt’s Bees chapstick? Are you worried the chapstick will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve put together some information about Burt’s Bees chapstick and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Burt’s Bees Chapstick?
Burt’s Bees chapstick is a lip balm that works to hydrate and nourish lips to keep them from becoming chapped. The product contains beeswax, which has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties.
This brand, Burt’s Bees, is famous for only using naturally-sourced ingredients in all of their skincare products and cosmetics. Their chapstick was one of the first products the company produced in 1992.
Burt’s Bees chapstick contains the following ingredients:
- Vitamin E
- Coconut oil
- Rosemary leaf extract
- Sunflower seed oil
The chapstick is placed in a plastic tube, which is commonly used by other types of lip balms.
While Burt’s Bees chapstick is safe for humans, what about dogs? Can Burt’s Bees chapstick make a dog sick?
Burt’s Bees Chapstick & Dogs
The good news is that Burt’s Bees chapstick is not toxic to dogs. However, there are a couple of concerns to be aware of.
First, the chapstick itself may make a dog develop digestive problems. These may include diarrhea and vomiting. That’s because of the oil and beeswax in the product. Diarrhea and vomiting should only last a short time. But if these symptoms last longer, it’s a good idea to call the vet. They have medications to help ease these symptoms.
Next, the other concern is the container the chapstick’s in. It’s possible that a dog could eat the entire chapstick, tube, and all! The tube could become lodged in the dog’s digestive tract and cause an intestinal obstruction.
Symptoms of Intestinal Obstruction in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms in your dog if he’s eaten Burt’s Bees chapstick:
- Loss of appetite
- Abdominal pain & swelling
If you notice these symptoms, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.
Treatment of Intestinal Obstruction in Dogs
The treatment depends on where the plastic tube is located in the dog’s digestive tract. For instance, if the tube is caught in the dog’s stomach, the vet may be able to remove the object with an endoscopic procedure.
However, if the tube is caught further down in the dog’s intestines, the vet may need to perform emergency surgery to safely remove the blockage.
The prognosis is best for dogs that receive prompt medical care. And it’s always best to keep chapstick out of your dog’s reach. You’ll both be happier for it!