My Dog Ate Bubble Wrap What Should I Do?
Dogs eat the strangest things sometimes! Some dogs seem fascinated with plastic wrap, including bubble wrap. Maybe the bubble wrap feels interesting in their mouths. Or perhaps some dogs like to chew the wrap and hear the tiny pops from the enclosed air! Who knows! But one thing is sure—dogs will eat bubble wrap for their own reasons. But what happens if a dog eats bubble wrap?
Has your dog eaten bubble wrap? Are you worried the bubble wrap will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve put together some information about bubble wrap and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Bubble Wrap?
Bubble wrap is a type of transparent plastic material that’s made with air bubbles between its layers. The small air bubbles in the wrap are spaced evenly across the material. They look like little bubbles in the plastic wrap.
The wrap is often used to wrap and protect fragile items, such as glass, mirrors, bottles, and more. The bubble wrap is usually made out of polyethylene (LDPE) film with two layers. One side is flat while the other side is shaped. The bubbles work as small shock absorbers to keep fragile items safe from breaking.
Bubble wrap is also appreciated as a fun “toy” by kids and adults! Many people love to twist and poke the wrap to burst the bubbles and hear them pop!
But what happens if a dog eats bubble wrap?
Bubble Wrap & Dogs
Unfortunately, bubble wrap can be very dangerous for dogs. The first thing to worry about is that the wrap may cause a dog to choke. The plastic is lightweight and can easily block a dog’s airways.
The next concern is that if a dog eats the bubble wrap, the plastic may become lodged in the digestive tract, causing an intestinal blockage. An intestinal blockage is a very serious condition that can lead to death if left untreated.
Symptoms of Bubble Wrap Ingestion in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten bubble wrap:
- Airway obstruction/difficulty breathing
- Abdominal pain & swelling
If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency. Be sure to let the vet know about how much plastic wrap your dog has eaten and about what time this happened.
Please understand that dogs are able to pass plastic wrap in some cases. However, bubble wrap is much thicker, and the chances are slim the dog will pass the bubble wrap on his own. So, he must be seen by a vet ASAP.
At the vet’s, they will work to remove the blockage if your dog is choking. And if your dog has signs of an intestinal blockage, the vet may perform x-rays to see where the plastic wrap is inside the dog’s digestive tract.
In some cases, emergency surgery may be required to safely remove the bubble wrap from the dog’s system. It’s probable your dog will also need to remain hospitalized until he’s in stable condition.
Dogs who receive fast medical treatment have the best chance of making a good recovery. So, make sure your dog gets the treatment he needs right away!