My Dog Ate Brownies Will He Get Sick?
Brownies, who doesn’t love fresh, warm brownies with some ice cream on the side? And we can’t forget a little drizzling of frosting! Scrumptious and beautiful brownies are a mainstay for many families! What better snack could you have?
But are brownies safe for dogs? What happens if your dog eats some brownies?
Brownies are Not Safe for DogsCheck Price on Amazon
The short answer is that brownies are not safe for dogs. In fact, these wonderful chocolatey treats are very dangerous for dogs. The key is in the chocolate.
Chocolate contains substances that are dangerous for dogs; these include theobromine and caffeine. Both of these substances have a tendency to speed up the heart rate and stimulate the nervous system. This happens in us and our fur baby; however, in our canine companions, the result is even more stimulation. Our dogs’ systems are not able to metabolize theobromine and caffeine.
Chocolate comes in different varieties, with each time being more or less toxic for dogs. The more chocolate in the ingredient, the more toxic it will be to dogs. Here’s a scale from less toxic to most toxic with different types of chocolate:
- White chocolate (least toxic)
- Milk chocolate
- Dark chocolate
- Semi-sweet chocolate
- Baking chocolate
- Cocoa powder (most toxic)
The amount of chocolate that’s toxic for each dog can vary depending on the dog’s size and weight. But in general:
- Milk chocolate:7-2 oz of milk chocolate/pound of body weight can be toxic for
- Semi-sweet chocolate:3-1 oz of semi-sweet chocolate/pound of body weight can be toxic
- Baking chocolate:1-0.3 oz of semi-sweet chocolate per pound of body weight can be toxic
In the case of brownies, many recipes use milk chocolate; however, this can vary.
Symptoms of Chocolate Poisoning in DogsCheck Price on Amazon
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten chocolate:
- Abnormal breathing
- Increased urination
If your dog is showing any of these symptoms, then it’s time to call the vet immediately. This could be a medical emergency.
Before calling the vet, try to determine what type and amount of chocolate your dog has eaten. This information will help the vet.
Treatment of Chocolate Toxicity in Dogs
Treatment of chocolate toxicity depends on the amount and type of chocolate eaten. The vet may try to induce vomiting and use activated charcoal. In addition, your fur baby may need to have an IV drip. This is to help stabilize and rehydrate your dog and can be used to administer other medications as needed.
The prognosis is excellent in dogs who receive prompt medical care after ingesting chocolate.
And for those dogs that can’t leave chocolate alone, you may consider buying/making doggie treats that use carob. Dogs love this ingredient as much as chocolate, and it’s safe for them!