Dogs eat the strangest things, from poo and roadkill to bricks and bristles! Our canine companions are not known for being discerning eaters. In fact, just the opposite.
Why Would my Dog Eat Bristles?
That’s a great question; unfortunately, there’s no one answer. If the bristles were from your hairbrush, then it could be your dog smelled you and wanted to get closer. This is one of the reasons they eat socks, dirty underwear, and more.
In the case of a grill bristle brush, the brush could smell like the food cooked on the grill. That’s all it takes to attract a dog! Think of all those hamburgers, steaks, cobs of corn, and more you’ve enjoyed on the grill. Your canine companion loves those foods and smells as much (if not more) as you do!
Then, of course, there’s no telling why dogs eat what they do. Sometimes it’s due to boredom, anxiety, trying to get attention (even negative attention is something), or even due to an underlying medical condition.
So, if your dog regularly eats non-food items, it’s probably a good idea to get him checked with the vet. This way, if your fur baby does have something wrong, it can be detected and treated.
What to Do If Your Dog’s Eaten Bristles
First, determine the type of bristles your fur baby’s eaten. Were they metal bristles or nylon? How long were they? About how many did your dog eat?
Next, call the vet and get their advice. They will have the best information on what needs to happen next. Depending on the type and number of bristles eaten, the vet may ask you to bring your fur baby by to be checked. This is a good idea, especially if your canine companion has eaten metal bristles.
The metal bristles could cause tears or punctures in the dog’s esophagus, stomach lining, or intestines. Even if the dog only ate a few bristles.
Symptoms of Eating Bristles in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten bristles:
- Abdominal pain/swelling
- Lack of appetite
If your dog shows any of these symptoms, it’s time to call the vet. This could be a medical emergency.
Treatment for Eating Bristles in Dogs
If your dog has eaten a large number of bristles (metal or nylon), there’s a chance he could develop an intestinal blockage, punctures, or tears in the digestive tract. This type of issue needs to be treated as soon as possible; otherwise, it could end in death.
Your fur baby may require surgery at this point. However, if treated as soon as possible, most dogs will go on to a full recovery.