My Dog Ate Brimonidine Tartrate What Should I Do?
Do you use eye drops to treat glaucoma or high fluid pressure in your eye? Has your dog ingested brimonidine tartrate? If so, then you’ve come to the right place.
We’ve put together some information about this medication and what you should do if your dog has ingested some of this medication.
What is Brimonidine Ophthalmic Eye Medication?Check Price on Amazon
These are eye drops that are used to control glaucoma or high fluid pressure within the eye. The medication works to lower the high fluid pressure in the eye, to reduce the chance of developing nerve damage, blindness, or vision loss in the eye.
This type of medication is known as an alpha agonist. Brimonidine ophthalmic eye drops come in an eye drop container.
Is brimonidine ophthalmic eye medication dangerous for dogs?
How Does a Dog Gain Access to Brimonidine Eye Drops?
That’s a good question. Because this is a common medication used for glaucoma, your dog could find it in a purse, backpack, or even on the counter in the bathroom. It’s possible your fur baby sees you use the medication, thinking you’re having some kind of a treat. He would like to have some, too!
So, when you’re not looking, your dog may go back to where the medication is and try to eat it. It’s really that simple, though your dog’s reasoning could be much different!
This is why it’s imperative to keep all medications out of your dog’s reach. You just never know when the temptation may come over them to try your meds.
Brimonidine Ophthalmic Eye Medication & Dogs
Brimonidine ophthalmic eye medication is extremely dangerous for dogs if ingested. You may notice these symptoms if your dog has ingested this medication:
- Ataxia (walk as if drunk)
- Slow pulse
- Low body temperature
If you notice these symptoms in your dog, then call the vet immediately. This is a life-threatening medical emergency.Check Price on Amazon
Treatment of Brimonidine Ophthalmic Eye Medication Ingested by Dogs
At the vet’s, they will quickly perform a physical on your dog. This will include running some lab work. If the diagnosis is brimonidine ophthalmic eye medication poisoning, the vet may choose one of two antidotes, either yohimbine or atipamezole. The vet may need to give these medications more than once.
The vet may also use activated charcoal, which can bind the toxin to keep it from being absorbed into the dog’s body.
Again, this is a very serious medical emergency that can end in death. So, be sure to get your fur baby to the vet as soon as possible. With fast treatment, you could save his life.