My Dog Ate Boiled Crawfish What Should I Do?
Do you and your family love eating boiled crawfish? If so, you’re like many in the US who enjoy this freshwater animal! But what happens if a dog eats boiled crawfish? Can boiled crawfish make a dog sick?
Has your dog eaten boiled Crawfish? Are you worried the boiled crawfish will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when a dog eats something like this.
We’ve put together information about crawfish and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What are Crawfish?
Crawfish are freshwater crustaceans that go by many other names, including crawdads, crayfish, yabbies, mudbugs, and more. They live in different parts of the US in ponds, swamps, lakes, and rivers. One of the most popular ways to cook crawfish is boiled.
Boiled crawfish are very easy to cook—just bring a large pot of water to a boil and then place crawfish into a cooking basket. Then lower the basket into the water and let them cook for about 15 minutes. Most recipes say to allow the crawfish to sit in the hot water for another 15 minutes. You then allow the crustaceans to cool, and then you can eat them!
But what happens if a dog eats boiled crawfish?
Boiled Crawfish & Dogs
Fortunately, crawfish are not toxic to dogs! However, the crustaceans must be completely cooked with the shells removed before they’re safe for a dog to eat.
It’s essential to understand that some dogs are allergic to fish of all types. A dog with this type of allergy may have a mild reaction but could also suffer an anaphylactic reaction, depending on how sensitive he is to fish.
Another problem is whether the crawfish are in the shell or not. The shells can be dangerous for dogs because they can clump together in the dog’s intestines, leading to an obstruction. An intestinal obstruction can be dangerous if left untreated—it could lead to death.
In addition, the head & tail of the crawfish are tough and hard to digest. These could also lead to an intestinal obstruction. What’s more, the vein in the crawfish could contain bacteria and other nasties that might make a dog sick.
Finally, if your dog happens to eat boiled crawfish that have been cooked with other ingredients, he could also get sick. For example, some ingredients like onions and garlic are toxic to dogs.
So, crawfish aren’t toxic to dogs; however, their shells and other parts could cause a dog to get sick. In addition, if a dog eats too many crawfish, he could have GI upset (diarrhea, vomiting, and more).
What to Do If Your Dog Has Eaten Boiled Crawfish
If your dog has eaten a few pieces of plain, boiled crawfish, he should be OK. However, if he’s eaten too many crawfish or eaten parts that could cause an intestinal obstruction, then it’s always best to call the vet for their advice.