My Dog Ate Blinds What Should I Do?
Blinds are a very popular window treatment. In fact, you may even have them in your own home! Have you had a problem with your dog and the blinds? If so, rest assured this is a common issue.
But what happens when your dog eats blinds? Will the blinds make your dog sick?
What are Blinds?
Window blinds are a type of window treatment (covering). The blinds can be made from a variety of materials including wood, plastic, and metal slats. The slats are held together with cords that run through small holes on each end of the slats. Each slat overlaps the slap next to it, which is a great way to keep out the light. Then overhead, there’s a small track system, which makes it easier for the blinds to be opened or closed fully.Check Price on Amazon
They’re great for redirecting light; you can control the direction and amount of light that comes into the very easily with blinds. And these days, you can even have smart blinds that are controlled by a remote control or a smart home assistant!
Blinds also come in various styles such as shutters, cellular shades, roller shades, wood blinds, Roman shades, or vertical or horizontal blinds (sometimes referred to as Venetian blinds).
Why Do Dogs Chew or Eat Blinds?
There are several reasons dogs chew on or eat blinds. For one thing, dogs that have separation anxiety tend to be very anxious. This can lead them to destroy almost anything or everything they can get at. This includes blinds.
Puppies are also famous for gnawing, chewing, and eating things they just find fun. This includes window blinds. It could be the puppy sees the blinds as a new chew toy!
Another reason dogs may chew up and eat blinds is that they’re trying to see outside. For instance, maybe there’s a squirrel out there driving your dog crazy! Your dog must get the squirrel, which means getting those blinds out of his way! Or maybe he’s seeing dogs walk past your home. It doesn’t take much. If a dog wants to see out, they will do what’s necessary to gain access to the window!
The Problems with Blinds and DogsCheck Price on Amazon
While blinds can be a great window covering, they can be harmful to your dog. Dogs and puppies can be caught in the cords and choked. Another problem is if your dog eats and swallows the blind. This can be damaging to their esophagus, their stomach, and intestines.
No matter what material the blinds are made of, it’s possible the dog could suffer from an intestinal blockage. This and choking are both life-threatening medical emergencies.
If your dog has eaten the blinds, then be sure to call the vet right away. This could be a life-threatening medical emergency. Prompt medical care could save your dog’s life.