My Dog Ate Babybel Cheese Wax What Should I Do? (Reviewed by Vet)

Reviewed By Evie Moloney, RCVS •  Updated: 10/12/23 •  4 min read
Dog Moderate Toxicity Level
The contents of the website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

dog ate Babybel Cheese Wax

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Babybel cheese! What’s not to love? It’s great to eat as a snack when you’re on-the-go, and more! Your dog may also show interest in the cheese. After all, if you’re eating it that Babybel cheese has to be pretty tasty!

While the cheese is great, what happens if your dog happens to eat the Babybel’s wax wrapper?

In this article, we’ll take a look at what Babybel cheese is and whether or not wax wrapping can be dangerous for dogs. Let’s get started!

It is strongly recommended to contact a Pet Poison Helpline or your veterinarian.

What is Babybel Cheese?

Babybel is a brand of snack cheese products, which are individually wrapped in wax. The products come in several different flavors, including mozzarella, gouda, cheddar, swiss, original, and light.

The Babybel customer website advises that the wrapper wax is made of paraffin and does not include bee’s wax. It advises the wrapper is FDA (US Food and Drug Administration) “food safe”. Although the wrapper is non-toxic, this does not mean it does not have the potential to cause problems if your pet eats the wrapper.

So, could Babybel cheese wax make a dog sick?

Babybel Cheese Wax & Dogs

For most dogs, eating one wax wrapper shouldn’t cause them any harm. However, there is a chance that the wrappers could cause an intestinal blockage (get stuck in their digestive system), especially if your dog is small in size. Your dog could also get an upset tummy from the cheese itself, as it is quite high in fat.

Another potential problem is that the Babybel cheese wax may cause choking. If the wrapper happens to become lodged in your fur baby’s esophagus, he could experience difficulty breathing.

Symptoms of Intestinal Blockage in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten many Babybel cheese wax wrappers:

It’s really important to remember that your pet may not show these symptoms even they do have a blockage, and that it could take a couple of days for your pet to start showing signs of being unwell. So it is recommended to phone your veterinarian to discuss your pet’s individual case and the best plan for them.

Symptoms of Choking in Dogs

Your dog may show these symptoms if the cheese wrapper becomes lodged in his esophagus:

If your fur baby shows any of these symptoms, call your vet right away.

What If Your Dog Swallows the Babybel Cheese Wrapper?

Dogs that have eaten only one cheese wrapper probably will be OK. While wax can be difficult for your fur baby’s digestive system to break down, the wax usually softens as it passes through. That means the wax may become easier for your dog to pass.

It can take up to two days for the Babybel cheese wax wrapper to pass, so it’s necessary to check your fur baby’s poop to see if the wrapper makes an appearance.

Is Babybel Wax Toxic for Dogs?

The good news is that the wax is non-toxic. The ingredients in the wax are natural and not toxic to dogs. The wax has been approved by the FDA, though you should never allow your dog to eat this wax.

If your dog is showing any of these symptoms indicating he’s choking or has a blockage, then it’s time to call the vet urgently. Your pet may need an examination, and your veterinarian can recommend the next best step for you and your pet in their individual case.

Next time you enjoy some Babybel, be sure to keep them where your dog can’t help himself!

CheckedbyVets stamp

(Visited 23,423 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Evie Moloney, RCVS

This article has been reviewed and approved by an independent Veterinarian: Evie is a vet surgeon who graduated from the University College Dublin, which is the only university offering the veterinary medicine degree in Ireland. She really enjoys surgery and has also worked as an emergency and critical care vet. She is passionate about sharing education about preventative health care for pets, especially the importance of regular dog and cat teeth brushing at home. She also enjoys helping owners find practical solutions for keeping pets as comfortable as possible while living with conditions such as arthritis. When not working, she enjoys hiking and swimming.

Keep Reading