My Dog Ate Ativan What Should I Do?

Reviewed By Tom •  Updated: 04/11/23 •  3 min read
Dog Severe Toxicity Level
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

Today’s world can make us feel anxious and stressed out. In some cases, pet parents may need a little extra help in coping. In that case, they may take a medicine called Ativan. But what happens if their dog eats some of their Ativan?

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Has your dog eaten Ativan? Are you worried that Ativan will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.

We’ve gathered information about Ativan and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

Dog Ate Ativan

It is strongly recommended to contact a Pet Poison Helpline or your veterinarian.

What is Ativan?

Ativan is a prescription medication that’s called a benzodiazepine. The medication works by enhancing the activity of certain neurotransmitters in the brain. Patients who take Ativan may begin to feel less stressed and anxious.

While Ativan is safe for humans (when taken as directed), what about dogs? What happens if a dog eats Ativan?

Ativan & Dogs

Ativan is a medication that’s also prescribed for use in dogs. The medicine is given to dogs who suffer from anxiety and agitation. It’s important never to give your dog Ativan made for humans. It’s possible the dose could be too much for your dog and cause an overdose.

It’s also possible that a dog could eat too much of your Ativan or his own medication and experience an overdose. These medications are dangerous for your dog if he eats a dose that’s too large for him.

Symptoms of Ativan Ingestion in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog eats Ativan:

If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.

Treatment of Ativan Ingestion in Dogs

The vet may first induce vomiting and use activated charcoal to help rid your dog’s system of Ativan. In some cases, gastric lavage may also be necessary.

The vet may also provide your dog with an IV and fluids to keep him hydrated and to support your dog’s blood pressure. In addition, your fur baby may need medications to stabilize his breathing and control his overly stimulated central nervous system.

The prognosis is best for dogs who receive prompt medical treatment after eating Ativan. In the future, it’s best to keep Ativan and other medications out of your dog’s reach. You’ll both be happier for it!

(Visited 96 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Tom

Tom has always loved to write since he was little - he wanted to be either a writer or a veterinary doctor, but he ended up being a professional writer while most of his works are based on animals. He was born in San Francisco but later moved to Texas to continue his job as a writer. He graduated from the University of San Francisco where he studied biotechnology. He is happily married and a soon to be father!

Keep Reading