My Dog Ate Astringent What Should I Do?

Reviewed By Tom •  Updated: 04/07/23 •  3 min read
Dog Severe Toxicity Level
The contents of the website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

Many of us use astringents on a regular basis. These liquids are useful in many ways, including cleaning makeup off the face, as an antiseptic for sores, and more. But what happens if your dog grabs a bottle of astringent and eats the astringent?

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Has your dog eaten astringent? Are you worried that the astringent will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.

We’ve gathered information about astringent and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

Dog Ate Astringent

It is strongly recommended to contact a Pet Poison Helpline or your veterinarian.

What is Astringent?

Astringent is usually a liquid that’s used to shrink tissues. It usually dries the skin to some extent and can make your skin feel tighter (temporarily). Astringent can also remove excess oil and reduce the appearance of pores.

Astringents are usually high in tannins. Tannins are a type of antioxidant. Here’s a list of the most common astringents:

While astringents are safe for humans, what about dogs? What happens if a dog eats astringent?

Astringent & Dogs

The answer depends on what astringent the dog has eaten. For instance, witch hazel is not toxic to dogs. However, it can cause GI upset. These symptoms, such as diarrhea and vomiting, usually last between 12 to 24 hours. If they last longer, it’s best to call the vet.

On the other hand, isopropyl alcohol is toxic to dogs and can cause serious health issues in your fur baby.

Symptoms of Astringent Ingestion in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten isopropyl alcohol astringent:

If you notice these symptoms in your dog, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.

Treatment of Astringent Ingestion in Dogs

Treatment depends on the vet’s diagnosis. For instance, if your dog has eaten witch hazel and has GI upset, the vet may give your fur baby medications to stop diarrhea and vomiting. They will also check to see if your dog has become dehydrated. If so, they will give your fur baby an IV with fluids to rehydrate him.

On the other hand, if your dog has eaten isopropyl alcohol, the vet may induce vomiting and use activated charcoal to remove the alcohol from your dog’s system. They will also work to keep your canine companion’s body temperature from falling too low and treat any breathing problems your dog may have.

The vet will also treat other symptoms as they arise. The goal is to get your canine companion’s system stabilized again. Toward that end, the vet may need to keep your dog hospitalized until he’s in stable condition.

The prognosis is best for dogs who receive prompt medical treatment after eating astringent. In the future, it’s best to keep all astringents out of your dog’s reach. You’ll both be happier for it!

(Visited 54 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.


Tom has always loved to write since he was little - he wanted to be either a writer or a veterinary doctor, but he ended up being a professional writer while most of his works are based on animals. He was born in San Francisco but later moved to Texas to continue his job as a writer. He graduated from the University of San Francisco where he studied biotechnology. He is happily married and a soon to be father!

Keep Reading