The garden is filled with many types of critters and creepy crawlies, such as flies, bees, crickets, and aphids! These bugs can help with pollination, as in the case of bees. But some are considered pests, such as aphids. It’s even possible that a curious dog may try to eat aphids he finds on a plant. Or he may accidentally eat aphids when nibbling on a plant. But can aphids make a dog sick?
Has your dog eaten aphids? Are you worried that the aphids will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve gathered information about aphids and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What are Aphids?
Aphids are small insects that are common in the garden. These tiny insects are destructive to plants. They weaken a plant by sucking its sap out. In addition, aphids can carry viruses that damage a wide range of plants.
These tiny bugs are about 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch long, and they have pear-shaped soft bodies. They come in a wide range of colors, and there are about 5,000 species of these sap-sucking insects.
While aphids are not considered harmful to humans, what about dogs? What happens if a dog eats aphids?
Aphids & Dogs
The good news is that aphids are not toxic to dogs! In addition, aphids cannot harm dogs in any way. These tiny bugs stay on the plants they’re eating and will not get on a dog like a tick or a flea. In addition, aphids are not able to bite dogs.
While the insects do have mouthparts that can pierce through plants, they’re not able to bite through a dog’s skin. These bugs are also not able to sting a dog. These are not stinging insects.
Considerations When Treating Plants for Aphids
Pet parents who have gardens filled with aphids want to find ways to get rid of these pests. It’s best to choose a pesticide that’s safe to use around your dog. The issue is that if your dog ate a leaf treated for aphids, the insecticide could make your dog sick.
It’s also a good idea to use insecticides that are safe for hummingbirds, butterflies, and bees. These critters are essential pollinators that can be harmed by some pesticides.
So, aphids will not make your dog sick, but insecticides used to kill aphids could be toxic to your fur baby. Choose pesticides that are safe for your dog and the other animals who live in the garden.