My Dog Ate Ant Poison What Should I Do?

By Kim •  Updated: 07/21/22 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website!

Dog Ate Ant Poison

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Ants can be problematic when they get in your house, especially in the kitchen! They work together and create long trails to the food they find. So, many people turn to ant traps to get rid of these pests. But what happens if a dog eats ant poison? Can ant poison make a dog sick?

Has your dog eaten ant poison? Are you worried the ant poison will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.

We’ve put together some information about ant poison and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

What is Ant Poison?

One of the most popular ways to get rid of ants is through ant poison. The poison comes in a wide range of formulas and traps. For instance, you can put ant poison in bait traps, liquids, gels, solids, and granules. The liquid poison may be applied to cardboard or another surface where it can attract ants. Liquid, gel, and solid baits may be enclosed in plastic containers (traps) designed to keep pets and humans out.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Some of the most common ant poisons include:

In most cases, these poisons are only present in small amounts and are not usually going to make a dog sick. However, a dog that ate several traps could become sick.

Symptoms of Ant Poison Toxicity in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog eats several ant traps:

In addition, if your dog eats the plastic traps, these can also cause problems, such as intestinal obstruction. You may notice these symptoms if your dog has an intestinal obstruction:

If you notice any of these or the above symptoms in your dog, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.

Treatment of Ant Poison Toxicity in Dogs

Treatment depends on your dog’s symptoms and their severity. The vet will provide treatment for poisoning if needed. And if your dog has an intestinal obstruction, the vet may need to perform emergency surgery to safely remove the ant traps.

Prevent Ant Poison Toxicity in Dogs

The best way to keep your canine companion healthy is to put ant traps and poison in places where your dog can’t get at them. You may also want to consider pet-safe versions of ant poisons/traps just in case your fur baby is tenacious in digging traps out from under cabinets, and more!

(Visited 176 times, 1 visits today)

Kim

Kim is a talented author, who loves animals especially dogs. She engaged in writing books and articles relating to animals a decade ago. Kim resides in Chicago with her husband and son. The family is the proud owner of a dog and a parrot (Jack and Lily). Kim wanted more than these two pets, but her husband put his foot down... She often visits elementary schools to talk to the kids about what she learned about pets and how they could learn from them.

Keep Reading

[class^="wpforms-"]
[class^="wpforms-"]